Where should i look; request guidance for learning.

Hi people, i started playing guitar when i was 13. As every guitarist i love effect pedals :). Then i decided to start making electronic music. All the VSTs amazed me, envelopes, filters, oscillators.
My question is, in which field should i look into to learn how to manipulate sound waves in hardware with real parts, like understanding how an equaliser is built (how it works, what happens if i replace a resistor from 10k to 100k.), like understanding an oscillator - sine triangle square sawtooth. Filters lowpass highpass, bandpass. Distortion, modulation. all of those things im very interested in. Its easy in software you just click click click, but i want to learn to make it. Bad news is if i want to learn this and see what im doing - i should get an oscilloscope and they are a bit expensive.
Im new in electronics, but im learning fast. I have my arduino from 1 month and i almost made my first big project - a MIDI controller DJ mixer with the help of a friend of course. (im pretty deep in the MIDI things, but ask me to make something else and im blind).

Hi,
I'm an old Broadcast and Recording Studio designer, but I need to help you find today's answers, not yesterdays.

I will check with my friend who designed equipment recently and teaches in Canada, to suggest a good book from today.

Send me a PM or email and I'll point to some of my older books....

The basic things you need to learn about are:

• Operational Amplifiers
  • Filter design
  • Some recent effects pedals designs...
  • And later, Digital Signal Processors

A PC-based Oscilloscope would be fast enough for any audio stuff....

...more later...

Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods In Vermont terry@yourduino.com

This is highly recommended:

UPDATE: Suggestions from my friend in Canada:
---------------------( COPY )--------------------------
I would point him to these places:

Walt Jung's Audio IC Amp Applications is still the best source that I know of to go straight to the jugular as far as building audio circuits. Make sure you get the 3rd edition:

Most audio circuits in use today use ASIC's (application specific integrated circuits) - like chips that are dedicated line drivers, VCA.s, mic pre's etc. A fantastic source is the manufacturer because they do the engineering for you and tell you how to use the chips in their data sheets. The best place for this is:
http://www.thatcorp.com/THAT_IC_Products.shtml
list of audio IC's with data sheets:
http://www.thatcorp.com/Datasheets.shtml
The data sheets are an education in themselves because the role of every part is explained in them.
And if that isn't cool enough, they'll send you samples to play with !
http://www.thatcorp.com/THAT_Sample_Request.shtml
Have fun, good luck !

-----------------( END COPY )----------------------

Some physics background in oscillations and sound waves will help too. You will get to use trignometric functions you may otherwise never use unless you become an engineer or physicist.

To Manipulate sound in hardware you could look at building a basic Synth like this one

You can use your PC sound card as a basic Oscilloscope to watch the waveforms.