Number of Timers

Just a quick question on how many timers the Due provides. I've looked, but haven't found any information on that aside from a vague statement of it having "many" timers.
Does it have 6 like the Mega? Or does it just have the 4 that the Cortex provides (I think it has 4, if I'm reading the documentation correctly...)?
Thanks in advance

This is how I read the data sheet.

There are three general-purpose TC blocks each of which has 3 16-bit TCs. So that's a total of 9 16-bit TCs.

Within each block you can gang the timers in series so you could have 1 32- and 1 16-bit, or 1 48-bit TC in each block.

There is also the SysTick counter, this should be used for regular interrupts like the millis(), if it's not the entire Arduino team need shooting.

Then there's the RTT, this can be used to count elapsed seconds.

Then there's the 8 channels of PWM timers.

And finally there's the RTC which does all the things you'd expect of an RTC.

Or does it just have the 4 that the Cortex provides

Most timers are manufacturer-supplied peripherals and therefore nothing to do with the Cortex, of the above I think the only "Cortex timer" is SysTick.

Rob

There is also the SysTick counter, this should be used for regular interrupts like the millis(), if it's not the entire Arduino team need shooting.

Harsh.

Duane B

Yes you're right, I could go with garrotting, I think that would be OK.

EDIT: I just checked, they are using it :slight_smile:

Rob

OT - Your starting to remind me of a film about a series of murders in your part of the world.

Duane B

Which one?

Rob

Still OT - Snowtown - it was on over here a few nights ago, haven't watched it yet.

Duane B

Ah, the old bodies in the barrels trick.

I haven't seen it either.

'Spose we should go back OT now.

Rob