ATmega1284P: End to End using 1.0 IDE

Hmm, see, to have lost a couple of the big cap's in the conversion ...

I really like the PIH design.

Based on the board size, what would the cost be?

Bare boards, 10 or $24.90 from iteadstudio plus shipping, typically $5 to Boston, MA area.
So if I order 10, then $4 mailed in an envelope to you.
Materials: '1284s are $5.82 at Mouser, $4.50 for the FTDI chip, regulators ~75 cents?, USB connector ~$1, and whatever you can scrounge up for sockets/headers, Rs, Cs, LEDs.
Maybe ditch the surface mount parts and just put holes for pins for one of these one instead

That'd be worth $5 saved in surface mounting aggravation to me! The same holes could allow an FTDI Basic to be jumpered in for programming and not be installed if the end application didn't need it, like a big Pro Mini.

Can get the rest pretty inexpensively from www.dipmicro.com
Think I'll add 3 more holes to allow for 3.3V from the FTDI if the 3.3V regulator is not used, and change the 5V regulator to a 7805 type.

JoeO,
Saw your PM attempt - system does not seem to be working yet.
Or I need to make some undetermined change still to allow PMs to work again.
Or my PMs are hosed as a moderator.
Or ...
Either way, what's up?

Bob:

1284 Duelaminove PIH. I would take up to 10 boards. Would you want to have the whole panel sent to me from the manufacturer and I would pay you the $40?

JOe

Boards coming from China. Customs, etc. Easier to receive & forward.

CrossRoads:
Yes you can Leo.

Thank you, Bob.

Grr, I think I need to re-do the layout on the all-thru hole board. Eagle saying the schematic & layout are not compatible, every thing I try & fix just makes it worse. Not sure how they got that way, but it seems hopeless.

it may not be the end of the world
if you want to send .brd and .sch I'll see if I can "av a word" with it
cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike, will send it over tonight after work. 10:30pm your time unfortunately.

Okay, I had to re-do my .brd file, didn't seem to be anyway to recover.
Here's the new layout

and the files. Could use some feedback re: pin header labels - can't really squeeze things into the middle, the '644 placement is fixed by the ICSP header.
I suppose one way is make the board taller, slide everything up a tenth or so and out the labels around the outside.
Am using this neat little FTDI module vs the FTDI chip itself - figure the cost of the module and its parts is comparable to the chip, USB connector, some caps, and the hassle if soldering that chip in place!

Got some ordered to try out.
If anyone's up for a review, here are the eagle 6 files.
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/atmega1284_DIP_thruhole.sch
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/atmega1284_DIP_thruhole.brd

I took a peek at the layout
very neat

I think there’s space to add pin labels outside the pins
I find that easier especially once a shield is in place

I made it a little wider, cleaned up the right angle traces, added header pin names.
Think the names are too big this way?
[edit- fixed couple typos in the link]

CrossRoads:
I made it a little wider, cleaned up the right angle traces, added header pin names.
Think the names are too big this way?

I took the liberty of "adjusting" your link!

but it looks fine to me certainly not too big
but then my eyes[ancient] appreciate larger fonts!

you might try labels that run the other way
so rather than one label per pin you have one loooooooooooong label
A7 A6 A5 A4 etc

I tried horizontal labels, they're ok for 2 characters, 3 run into each other too much.

I used size .024
may be a tad small for some?

mmcp42:
I used size .024
may be a tad small for some?

That's the smallest size I ever use. It's pretty tiny.

CrossRoads:
If anyone's up for a review, here are the eagle 6 files.
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/atmega1284_DIP_thruhole.sch
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/atmega1284_DIP_thruhole.brd

This is a really nice board. The FTDI part you found is great because it's cheap and has extra fun pins too. Problem is, it's not compatible with the usual FTDI cable. The cable and the Sparkfun 'basic' boards all use a common pinout, like the Sparkfun Arduino Pro and friends. I would say more people are going to have the Sparkfun units (adafruit sells them too). So I'd recommend a simple 6-pin header using the FTDI cable pinout. FTDI Friend + extras [v1.0] : ID 284 : $14.75 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Definitely needs the pin labels, good to see those come in.

How about mounting holes on the corners now that adding up labels created more white space?

"Problem is, it's not compatible with the usual FTDI cable."
It's not meant to be - this part will plug in instead. Then a standard USB cable can plug in.

And if your application doesn't need permanent connectivity, don't install it.
I suppose I could put holes in parallel to plug a FTDI-Basic onto also for another option.

Nono, what I am saying is that many of us have an FTDI cable, or other compatible product, around. If there were headers for connecting that then we wouldn't NEED to buy this additional $10 part.