ATmega1284P: End to End using 1.0 IDE

it may not be the end of the world
if you want to send .brd and .sch I'll see if I can "av a word" with it
cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike, will send it over tonight after work. 10:30pm your time unfortunately.

Okay, I had to re-do my .brd file, didn't seem to be anyway to recover.
Here's the new layout

and the files. Could use some feedback re: pin header labels - can't really squeeze things into the middle, the '644 placement is fixed by the ICSP header.
I suppose one way is make the board taller, slide everything up a tenth or so and out the labels around the outside.
Am using this neat little FTDI module vs the FTDI chip itself - figure the cost of the module and its parts is comparable to the chip, USB connector, some caps, and the hassle if soldering that chip in place!

Got some ordered to try out.
If anyone's up for a review, here are the eagle 6 files.
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/atmega1284_DIP_thruhole.sch
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/atmega1284_DIP_thruhole.brd

I took a peek at the layout
very neat

I think there’s space to add pin labels outside the pins
I find that easier especially once a shield is in place

I made it a little wider, cleaned up the right angle traces, added header pin names.
Think the names are too big this way?
[edit- fixed couple typos in the link]

CrossRoads:
I made it a little wider, cleaned up the right angle traces, added header pin names.
Think the names are too big this way?

I took the liberty of "adjusting" your link!

but it looks fine to me certainly not too big
but then my eyes[ancient] appreciate larger fonts!

you might try labels that run the other way
so rather than one label per pin you have one loooooooooooong label
A7 A6 A5 A4 etc

I tried horizontal labels, they're ok for 2 characters, 3 run into each other too much.

I used size .024
may be a tad small for some?

mmcp42:
I used size .024
may be a tad small for some?

That's the smallest size I ever use. It's pretty tiny.

CrossRoads:
If anyone's up for a review, here are the eagle 6 files.
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/atmega1284_DIP_thruhole.sch
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/atmega1284_DIP_thruhole.brd

This is a really nice board. The FTDI part you found is great because it's cheap and has extra fun pins too. Problem is, it's not compatible with the usual FTDI cable. The cable and the Sparkfun 'basic' boards all use a common pinout, like the Sparkfun Arduino Pro and friends. I would say more people are going to have the Sparkfun units (adafruit sells them too). So I'd recommend a simple 6-pin header using the FTDI cable pinout. FTDI Friend + extras [v1.0] : ID 284 : $14.75 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Definitely needs the pin labels, good to see those come in.

How about mounting holes on the corners now that adding up labels created more white space?

"Problem is, it's not compatible with the usual FTDI cable."
It's not meant to be - this part will plug in instead. Then a standard USB cable can plug in.

And if your application doesn't need permanent connectivity, don't install it.
I suppose I could put holes in parallel to plug a FTDI-Basic onto also for another option.

Nono, what I am saying is that many of us have an FTDI cable, or other compatible product, around. If there were headers for connecting that then we wouldn't NEED to buy this additional $10 part.

I think we are in agreement then - a 2nd row of holes compatible with the existing cables. Plenty of room for it.

Going to make the 100nF caps and the resistors 3/10s wide instead of 2/10s wide.

FTDIs in parallel.png

Okay, I am calling it done pending any review comments - just waiting on FTDI module delivery to confirm fit (has already left Mouser).
Also added FTDI-Basic/FTDI Cable holes if someone prefers to use one of those for downloading sketches & then removing it.

Added extra labelling also to make it easier to find "the good pins", those with the extra features.
Think all parts sizes selected should be pretty easy to hand solder without hot air & reflow techniques.

Gotta go find a protoboard I have somewhere & confirm the headers are correctly placed. I copied the positions from the Duemilanove file and made everything else fit around them so shields should fit. Also added the new SCL/SDA and power header pins.

Files here if anyone cares to download & review.
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/atmega1284_DIP_thruhole_RCs.sch
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/atmega1284_DIP_thruhole_RCs.brd

CrossRoads:
Gotta go find a protoboard I have somewhere & confirm the headers are correctly placed. I copied the positions from the Duemilanove file and made everything else fit around them so shields should fit. Also added the new SCL/SDA and power header pins.

I'm not sure the ICSP header is in the correct place to work with the Ethernet/SD card.

Well, I took the position numbers from the duemilanove and put them into this card. The whole groupw was then selected & moved so doing a one to one comparison requires a little math now.
I think it may look funny due to the big chip being there and the analog header being 2 pins longer.
I am pretty sure the end pin of the D0, the end analog pin (3rd pin now) and the inner row of the ICSP pins line up, so its just a question of spacing between the headers. I am looking for a prototype shield I have that I can lay over a printout to confirm.

Hmm, that's not what I have now is it - rats, something got moved unintentionally. Looks like the reset button ended up where the ICSP header was supposed to be.
Back to the drawing board!

Here are some pictures of the new board that arrived in the mail today....

I have a few details on my *uino-1284p page. The source files are on Github. Now I am waiting for some parts in the mail to see if this puppy will work.

uino-1284p-v0.3-top.jpg

uino-1284p-v0.3-bottom.jpg

uino-1284p-v0.3-brd.png

Looking good.

Had those made by iTead. Interesting that the box from iTead is identical to the box from Seeed. But the little flyer that came with it is different. About 2 weeks from paying and emailing files to receiving the boards. I'd say that turnaround time is outstanding.

Not bad. US Customs must be a little slower, mine have taken a few days longer.
They accepted the Leonardino design on the 9th, boards shipped the 13th, waiting on delivery.
Status is it left Hong Kong on 17th, so its moving along.