Go Down

Topic: Super-zoom cameras (Read 2067 times) previous topic - next topic

MorganS

It seems that Fujufilm has a very slow release cycle. I expected to find 3-4 updates to that camera but it seems like maybe there's only been no new versions in the last 3.5 years since that camera came out. Their other "S9" range which seems to be somewhat similar has also had very few updates in that time.
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

Robin2

there's only been no new versions in the last 3.5 years since that camera came out.
Which is why I started this Thread :)

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Qdeathstar

Aug 26, 2017, 08:48 pm Last Edit: Aug 26, 2017, 08:49 pm by Qdeathstar
Few people buy cameras now, thru are a niche product. Design and retooling costs are significant, I doubt the camera companies can justify updating their cameras every year.

Robin2

Few people buy cameras now, thru are a niche product.
Interesting - and maybe correct. I can see how phone cameras can compete with small pocket cameras but they can't replace a the type of camera that has a big zoom lens. I only use my phone's camera when I have no choice.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

travis_farmer

IMO, digital zoom on phone cameras is worthless. if i take a picture with my phone, and i can't see the subject without zoom, it isn't worth the picture. but then, i still use a flip phone ;) (construction work is hard on expensive phones)

~Travis
Current Obsession: Ham Radio, and my CNC Router
Check out my website, i have my own forum on my hobby server.

AWOL

We're not talking about digital zoom.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

travis_farmer

I only use my phone's camera when I have no choice.
AWOL, this was what triggered my post.

I apologize if i spoiled the thread...

~Travis
Current Obsession: Ham Radio, and my CNC Router
Check out my website, i have my own forum on my hobby server.

Qdeathstar

indeed, if we weren't talking about shitty cellphone cameras in the op, we certainty are now as for most people the shitty cell phone camera is enough.

Too bad we can't get even 3x optical on a phone, but there just isn't the room. I doubt that will change, because phones are getting smaller/thinner and optical magnification requires physical space.

MorganS

10x optical zoom: http://www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/galaxy-k-zoom-c115/SM-C1150ZKABTU/

But it's a rare feature for phones. Most people want a slimmer phone that works for selfies.

There's also some new tech coming to phones in the next 2 years (or maybe never) which implements a phased-array for light and has no lens at all. If you zoom that, is it digital zoom or optical?
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

Robin2

My 42x optical zoom Fuji camera cost less than that phone  :)

...R

msssltd

Another Thread put me in mind of asking if anyone has any experience with these cameras.
No.  I have a couple C&G qualifications in digital imaging.  One precludes the other, if you like.

I have a Fuji Finepix HS50 which has a x42 zoom and manual control of the zoom. Generally I am very pleased with it but it is 4 years old and the plastic covering is starting to get sticky and grubby so I have been wondering is there anything better on the market.

I have no interest in cameras with interchangeable lenses - they are too inconvenient and too expensive.
A DSLR can outperform in every respect, including cost / convenience.  However, a deep seated prejudice is so difficult to beat, the manufacturers invented bridge cameras.  Super Zoom bridge cameras are, generally speaking, for those people who do not want to understand the compromises they make - Those who might 'buy numbers' like megapixels or Ghz.

To be fair, Fuji make some of the very best bridge cameras (IMO).  I am currently waiting for an X30 to appear on e-bay at a price I can justfy spending on a compact for secondary use.  Regardless of manufacturer, you don't get anything for nothing where capturing light is concerned.  There are no circumstances I would trade a DSLR for a super-zoom, for wide or telephoto shooting.

Lenses.  Your 24-1000mm is 'optical equivalency' compared to the apparent focal length of a 35mm 'full frame' sensor.  As the sensor size decreases the crop factor and apparent focal length increase.  The APS/C sensor in my DSLR is roughly 2/3 of 35mm, so the crop factor and equivalent focal length is 1.5 times.   When fitted to my APS/C camera a 28-300mm zoom is optically equivalent to 42-450mm.  Your Fuji's EXR sensor is smaller again.  So, your 24-1000mm is roughly similar to my 28-300mm.

Cost.  I would not dream of replacing a camera after only 4 years.  I bought my wife a D70 back in 2005, to replace her 10 year old F50.  I bought myself a D7000 in 2010, mainly for the weather proofing.  Both cameras get a lot of use and abuse and neither of us feel any need to upgrade.  Even after 12 years my wife's D70 has a residual value, which is more than can be said for your 4 year old HS50.

however it has electric zoom control and no manufacturer seems to be making a camera with manual zoom.
Demand for such a bridge camera has dried up.  The price of entry level DSLRs has fallen a great deal, while potential buyers at that price point have become more educated and more likely to choose a DSLR.

If anyone has experience of the Canon or any other camera that I should consider I would like to hear from you.
You should be considering the D3000 and D5000 ranges, including second hand - If you can get past your prejudices, that is.  Thanks to a previous investment in film I am a 'Nikon nut' but there is nothing wrong with the equivalent Canons.  You might also look at the smaller, lighter, cheaper 4/5s (Olympus, Pentax) DSLRs.

Imagine that the camera is switched off and it and the lenses are sitting on a table.

How long does it take to attach the correct lens and take a picture?  Less than 20 seconds?
My wife has the equivalent 28-300mm permanently attached to her D70.  It takes maybe 2 seconds to power up and maybe 1.5 seconds for the exposure and auto focus to lock.  That is a 12 year old camera.  My D7000 can go from cold to shoot in < 2 seconds.  Both cameras are more than likely left in manual, so add another 1 second to switch to an auto mode.  In any case 'composition' is by far the greatest bottleneck, by an order of magnitude or two.

How much is a 1000mm lens for a DSLR?

How much is a 24mm lens?
My wife uses her Sigma 28-300mm for just about everything.  Light weight, easy to find second hand and in good condition at £100 or less.  If you need to go any wider, 18-55mm and 18-110mm are popular 'retail kit' zoom lenses.  As such, they are plentiful, cheap to buy new and ridiculously cheap 2nd hand.

How much is a 24-1000mm zoom lens?
Whatever it cost the images would be rubbish.  Too much diffusion at the wide end and not enough light at the telephoto end. See previous crop factor rule.

Robin2

Aug 28, 2017, 05:48 pm Last Edit: Aug 28, 2017, 05:49 pm by Robin2
You should be considering the D3000 and D5000 ranges, including second hand - If you can get past your prejudices,
It is not prejudice that causes the inconvenience of having to change lenses.

And how much will a 24 - 1000mm lens cost for a DSLR? - more than £200 I suspect.

...R

AWOL

No-one who owns a DSLR would buy a 42x zoom lens, regardless of cost.
Hell, it's not been that long that zoom lenses have even been taken seriously by SLR users.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

Robin2

No-one who owns a DSLR would buy a 42x zoom lens, regardless of cost.
I know.

I don't own a DSLR - but @msssltd was trying to persuade me to.

...R

msssltd

I know.

I don't own a DSLR - but @msssltd was trying to persuade me to.

...R
I am pointing out that your 24-1000mm is not really 24-1000mm.  Read what I wrote about crop factors, focal lengths and sensor sizes again.  Your 24-1000mm is the optical equivalent of a 28-300mm on an entry or mid-range DSLR. 

So, were you to buy an entry level DSLR and fit a 28-300mm zoom lens permanently, like my wife.  You would have roughly the same apparent range of focal length as your Fuji, with manual zoom and without any inconvenient lens changing.  However, the DSLR would out perform your Fuji in every other respect.

A good 28-300mm zoom lens with macro capability, like my wife uses, is easy to find 2nd hand for £100 or less.

Go Up