Go Down

Topic: Solar Eclipse 2017 (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Qdeathstar

And another thing - why is it always referred to as "raw sewage"?
There's a cooked variant?
Yep. Raw sewage hasnt been treated at all. After its gets treated, its grey water.. or cooked sewage :D
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

Delta_G

Treated sewage.  Usually gray water refers to waste water with no human waste in it.  Like dishwater or the water from the bathtub.  If you poop or pee in it then it isn't gray anymore.  So showers are questionable.
If at first you don't succeed, up - home - sudo - enter.

TKall

Candidate for stupid statement of the week,

Do you think when The Donald is in Houston he will notice the National Guard cannot use the sewage flooded freeways and will consider it might be a good idea, and cheaper in the long run, not to build critical infrastructure where it can flood?
I think you should consider submitting yourself to  the next Dunning-Kruger study.

ardly

Candidate for stupid statement of the week,
Why is the comment stupid?

Trump cancelled flood protection regulations days before Harvey hit
http://jalopnik.com/trump-rolled-back-flood-protection-regulations-for-infr-1798515551

Trump promised to spend billions on infrastructure projects. He appears to have cancelled the regulations to make it easier to get projects approved without considering that, in the long run, building hospitals etc where they will flood is not smart.

I don't think that agreeing with the American Society of Civil Engineers that the regulations were a good thing means I have delusions of cognitive superiority. In light of Harvey do you think Trump will reinstate the regulations or not?

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley

travis_farmer

building hospitals etc where they will flood is not smart
so, if you live in a flood zone, and the hospitals are beyond that, and you have some sort of life-threatening medical emergency. how long do you want to wait for the ambulance to get there, and once there, how long of a ride do you want before you get the needed life saving surgery?

infrastructure is placed where it is needed, so that it can be utilized as quickly as needed. and there is a huge difference between a normal flood zone, and the unanticipated storm flood zone.

i agree, if a hospital is placed right on the coast, 2 feet above high-tide, then it is in a dumb location. but i personally have never seen that extreme.
Current Obsession: My server rack cooler, and my CNC Router
Check out my website, i have my own under-used forum on my hobby server.

ardly

so, if you live in a flood zone, and the hospitals are beyond that, and you have some sort of life-threatening medical emergency. how long do you want to wait for the ambulance to get there, and once there, how long of a ride do you want before you get the needed life saving surgery?

infrastructure is placed where it is needed, so that it can be utilized as quickly as needed. and there is a huge difference between a normal flood zone, and the unanticipated storm flood zone.

i agree, if a hospital is placed right on the coast, 2 feet above high-tide, then it is in a dumb location. but i personally have never seen that extreme.
Look at your television. The regulations that Trump rescinded gave agencies three options to establish the appropriate level of flood protection;
  • use the best climate science available to inform their decision
  • build two feet above the 100-year flood elevation for standard projects and three feet above for buildings like hospitals or evacuation centers
  • build to the 500-year flood elevation level

After seeing cities repeatedly flooded why would it not be sensible to keep these regulations for new projects?
Did they go just because they mentioned "climate science"?

It is more expensive to build up ground or raise buildings on stilts but at least you have a facility you can rely on and the cost is far less than losing it at the very time you need it, having to evacuate it and then replace the destroyed equipment and perhaps rebuild.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley

Go Up