Dead arduino uno?

hi i reecently came across an issue with my arduino which i hope is not too servere. when i try to upload a sketch i get the error message: "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00" in addition to that, the atMega chip gets extremely hot(to the point where i have to remove my finger). im not sure if thats normal as ive never touched it before. please help!!

t3rror23:
...in addition to that, the atMega chip gets extremely hot(to the point where i have to remove my finger). im not sure if thats normal as ive never touched it before...

That is not normal.

Other than a USB cable, what is connected to your Uno?

Usually when that hot, an IO pin has been damaged, and it's just a matter of time until the chip dies. Or it's dead already.

right now absolutly nothing...i tried uploading a sketch with nothing plugged in and still....tried it on a different pc and same thing:?

Sounds dead.
Does the loopback test work?
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,2.0.html
If yes, time for a new chip
Here's one source with low shipping costs

ahhh okay well il try the loop back test (which ive never heard of before so it may take a while to figure out haha) and otherwise...there is a place that sells the ATMEGA328-PU but not the 328P...are those okay as a replacement?

Not for a beginner - have to fool around with signature bytes to program them. Once get past that, they are nearly identical.
You have a way to install a bootloader? If not, at least get one bootloaded part to start so you can use the Arduino as a programmer for blank parts.

okay i understand. another shop nearby sells one ass follows "ATmega328 with Arduino Optiboot (Uno)" for quite cheap... it doesnt specify 328P nor the -PU at the end but if its pre loaded could it work? otherwise il go for the one you suggested?

t3rror23:
if its pre loaded could it work?

Yes.