Go Down

Topic: Controlling a metal wire temperature carrying electric current using thermocoupl (Read 90 times) previous topic - next topic

m25269

Hi,

I am a beginner in using Arduino and electronics: smiley-confuse: and I want to control the temperature of a wire carrying electric current. The concept is as follow:

A thermocouple reads the wire temp., then based on my setpoints it will turn on/off a power supply that causes wire heating/cooling.

I have two questions and any help would be highly appreciated.

1. Does this idea work? (I am going to use an Adafruit Thermocouple Amplifier MAX31855 breakout board + URBESTĀ®2 Pcs K Type 800C Wire Lead Measuring Thermocouple Sensor)

2. As I said the wire would carry current, can this have any effect on the attached thermocouple? Is it possible that current goes thru the thermocouple and burn everything?

Thanks for your time.

jremington

Is it possible that current goes thru the thermocouple and burn everything?
That is very likely.

The thermocouple must never come into electrical contact with the wire. Furthermore, even being close to the wire may induce voltages that interfere with the reading or destroy the thermocouple amplifier. Thermocouples generate very low voltages.

Why do you want to control the wire temperature, and what is that temperature?

m25269

"Why do you want to control the wire temperature, and what is that temperature?"

The wire is a part of a machine and it works as an actuator since it is made of a functional material.

What about this infrared sensor: TMP006? How far should it be from the wire? What is the minimum dimension of an object that they can record the temp.?

jremington

Go Up