Go Down

Topic: UTFT_GHL now shipping from CTE!! (Read 21921 times) previous topic - next topic

luigi1705

I am going stick my neck out and say I have been in dialogue with Coldtears to see if they would supply the sketch to place the image on the chip. The response was, It is ILLEGAL to copy the Font IC.. So that didn't help.

Has anyone got a sketch that runs on the DUE to do this?

Hennings Spi-Flash util can't do it.

Thanks,

Graham
Hi Graham,
I'm not conform, or didn't I see the Problem?
Let's talk about my little cheep project. For research purpose, i bought a very cheep bundle with an due, 3,2 tft with ssd controller and a shield. I modified the tft with a flash  type w25Q64, i customized the circuit an test it with success. Hennings spi_flash library has all "tools" to read/write the flash (unnoticed the file extension). I was able to "fill" the flash with bin digits which represent the the "font". If you want a step by step instruction send me PN. "It is ILLEGAL to copy the Font IC" mmhh?

Regards Ludwig

ghlawrence2000

Hi Ludwig,

I am sorry, I didn't immediately remember we already discussed the Font IC briefly in another thread back in February!! :P But anyway, I have included the communications between myself and CTE, in the 2 attachments below.

My efforts so far with this have been to make my 2 displays work with the Font IC. I have a 3.2" SSD1289 320*240 display, and I have a 5" CPLD.

My first efforts were to make the CPLD work, then naturally I turned my attentions to the other display.

In LANDSCAPE mode, I have 'something' working on both displays, but what I have noticed is the icons are VERY pale on my 3.2" they are fine on my CPLD.... but they look absolutely fine on your 3.2" display. Could you tell me what controller is on your 3.2" please? If you would like to assist/collaborate on this, maybe we can help each other?

Yes I would be interested to know how you did this with Hennings tools, but if all you are going to tell me is you read an image from one IC and wrote it back to another, I could not do that since I didn't have a source to copy. Thus, I had to make my own routine to write the image exactly as supplied by avr_fred.

I don't know if you could or would be interested in developing this Font IC idea further. What I mean is, now I have the basics working, I would like to have the ability to add extra fonts, since it is all well and good having these fonts on the IC, but they are only different sizes of a SINGLE typeface.

I am quite enthusiastic to hear ANY ideas about possible ways to advance this, and any ideas from anybody with an interest in what is trying to be achieved here.

Maybe, with enough interest, we could even develop this completely independent of the CTE library and IC?? I have a reasonable understanding of how it works now, but I would require assistance with the decoding of TTF/OTF and encoding as raster. I would also envisage perhaps more/different icons, maybe, with more of them being useful rather than just to fill a screen in a demo  :smiley-wink: ....

Regards,

Graham
UTFT_SdRaw now included in library manager!! ;) High speed image drawing from SD card to UTFT displays for Mega & DUE.
UTFT_GHL - a VASTLY upgraded version of UTFT_CTE. Coming soon to a TFT near you! 8) Shipping April 1 2016!

VinzzB

hello,

I have a FontIC chip without the fonts on it. Can someone PM me with instructions on how to load the bin file onto the chip so i can use the bvs fonts?

Greetz,
Vinzz

ghlawrence2000

UTFT_SdRaw now included in library manager!! ;) High speed image drawing from SD card to UTFT displays for Mega & DUE.
UTFT_GHL - a VASTLY upgraded version of UTFT_CTE. Coming soon to a TFT near you! 8) Shipping April 1 2016!

ghlawrence2000

Just a little progress report, I have spent quite a long time banging my head against a wall with this, but finally I have a breakthrough.

My earlier 'CENTER' and 'RIGHT' justifications have gone, they need to be implemented again, but, now I have correct text and image functionality on CTE32 and CPLD displays, I also have text functionality in PORTRAIT mode also!! Even CTE don't offer that!! ;)

Once I have text and image in LANDSCAPE and PORTRAIT, I will then add back in the CENTER and RIGHT justifications, then I might be ready to see how much interest I get from CTE before I release it....

Regards,

Graham

ghlawrence2000

After my initial enthusiasm, it turns out there is some incompatibility I have designed into the text drawing routine which now does not work with the CTE32. I will keep you all informed once I have more  progress to report.

I am surprised at the relative lack of interest here. The CTE32 display is based on the SSD1289 controller which I would have thought was fairly high up the list of most popular 3.2" displays in circulation, all you need to do is solder a chip to the empty space waiting for it.....

I am just trying to drum up  support so this project can progress a little faster than me working alone......

Regards,

Graham

Edit: I can't get the flash ic working on the place for it on the back of the TFT_320QVT  :(

ghlawrence2000

Just a quick update, even though nobody appears to be interested.......

Code: [Select]
**************************************************************************************
 GHL Modifications :-

CPLD Display functions added:-
LANDSCAPE mode :-
      Color Bars works fine.
      Load_image works fine.
      Write text works fine.
PORTRAIT mode :-
      Color Bars works fine.
      Load_image works fine.
      Write text works fine.
 CTE32 Display functions added:-
PORTRAIT mode :-
      Color Bars works fine.
      Load_image works fine.
      Write text works fine.
 CTE32 & CPLD
LANDSCAPE
  Write text with 'CENTER' or 'RIGHT' attributes.
PORTRAIT
  Write text with 'CENTER' or 'RIGHT' attributes.

To be developed......

Transparent, background colour.
**************************************************************************************

All works flawlessly on both the displays I own, if anyone would like to see the features I have added on their display, donations or a display will ensure progress of the project!! ;) :P

Video demonstration will be on Youtube as soon as I have finished it......

Regards,

Graham

ghlawrence2000

Since I just cracked my 3.2" display, I need to get a replacement 'small' display, this gives us(you) an ideal opportunity to vote for which model I should get? What do you think? ILI9481 or R61581 or HX8352?

Once I have a new display, naturally I will be adapting my enhanced CTE library to work with it!!

Start voting, I will wait 24 hours!!!

Regards,

Graham

mask0017

Think you should get the 3.5 CTE35IPS  R61581
Because I can't get mine to work and would love to see it working..
lol
Graeme

ghlawrence2000

I appreciate your honesty!  :D

But in the meantime, what problems are you having?

Regards,

Graham

mask0017

Hi
I'm very new to Arduino so very much a noob.
When I run the demo that's suppose to show the Fonts IC stuff just get colored bars then blank screen then it runs 2nd part of demo OK. see the video I took.

http://vid292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/Graeme_Pearson/Demo_zpskfadgx8g.mp4

Did the example with 1.6.1
Coldtears support (or rather lack of) said to use 1.5.1 but tried that and only get blank screen. Nothing else. Followed the instructions to the letter in their example.

Totally sucks
Thanks for taking some interest wish the supplier would.
Graeme

ghlawrence2000

So your name is Graeme?

I know what you mean about Coldtears lack of interest. I too have had issues with them and I don't like their attitude!!

This could be a slow process.......... :p

I am using IDE v.1.6.1 and i have no problems........ I gather the 1.5.1 issue is to do with the image uploader....... Have you tried messing about with that yet?

Regards,

Graham

mask0017

Coldtears said to use 1.5.1 to run the demo but only get blank screen when i run that .. when i run 1.61. i get the bars and 2nd part of demo.
tried coldtears image up loader example but it doesn't compile..
Graeme

ghlawrence2000

Which version of the UTFT_CTE library are you using? UTFT_CTE or UTFT_CTE_40 ?

G

mask0017

Using The UTFT_CTE_40

Have uncommented this line as I'm using their CTE shield for the Due

#define CTE_DUE_SHIELD 1" in the HW_ARM_defines.h in the \hardware\arm folder of the UTFT library

Thanks
Graeme

Go Up