Problem with arduino board on linux.

Hi all, I have some problems with arduino IDE and board on Linux.
On windows all is ok, the board works and the IDE too.

On linux I installed the IDE, the avr-* programs (with the link in the
work/tools directory. I make the sysmlink between the USB serial and a fake /dev/ttyS99 port.

I compile correctly, the speed of the port is 19200 but when I upload the tx/rx blinks but
the program dosen't start. The program is the led_blink example. Apparently the board stop
in the boot sequence loop (I reset the board before the upload).

Any Ideas ? How I can debug ?

regards
a.f.

Do the RX/TX lights blink a lot or just once? Do you get an error message in the IDE editor console? If so, please post it here.

Blinks a lot. No error from the IDE. After blinking the board apparently stay in the boot sequence
(1 blink -> wait a lot -> 1 blink).

The problem is that your code is too big to fit on the chip. You can work around it by deleting some of the new libraries that are included with the 0004 release.

You see, you've caught us in the midst of a transition from a small core set of libraries that get linked with every sketch to a bigger set of libraries that are selectively linked as needed. Meaning that the code in subversion has some extra libraries, but still links them all to every sketch. The easiest solution is to delete Matrix.cpp, Matrix.h, Sprite.cpp, and Sprite.h from the lib/targets/arduino directory, and to remove the:

#include "Matrix.h"
#include "Sprite.h"

from WProgram.h. This should give you more room on the chip for your program.

Alternatively, if you run "svn update" from the arduino directory, you should get the latest version of the code, which doesn't link against the Matrix or Sprite libraries and also gives an error if your code is too big (instead of blindly trying to download it anyway and not telling you that there's a problem).

Hi, thanks for the help.
But I don't understand why the same program, with the same board, with the same version of the IDE on windows installation works.
The program is the blink_led example. Is too big ?

a.f.

The program itself isn't too big. The problem is that currently the Arduino IDE links the sketch against every file in the core Arduino library (i.e. the contents of /lib/targets/arduino) and you happened to check out the Arduino source when there were some extra files in the directory. For now, they've been removed from the core library (and placed in /lib/targets/libraries). We're working (with Wiring) on a system for only linking against the libraries needed by a particular sketch, but it may not be ready in time for the next release.

Ok, I will update to the 004 release. Just for my knowlegde, why for under windows installation works ?

regards
a.f.

In the 0003 release of Arduino (e.g. on Windows), there are fewer files in the core Arduino library, so your total program size is smaller.