Delphi and USB communication (Arduino Duemilanove)

Hi everybody!

I'm new to Arduino and I haven't bought it yet but I probably will. I think this project is really fantastic!
I'm looking for all the informations I would need further and one of these is "how can I read/send data from/to an Arduino using Delphi 2010?".
I've searched in the forum but I've found only information related to the Serial communication. The seller that I've found and I trust the most is Futura Elettronica and they sell the USB Arduino version (that's great for me!).
What I'm searching for is a library, class, component that allows my pc to communicate with Arduino 2009 via USB.
Do you know one (or even some)? In case that you haven't have one can you tell me what can I google to find some good, ready, free stuff ;D?
On torry.net I found some things but they are too old or not free :(.
Thanks to who will help me =).
In case this can help I'm Italian.

What I'm searching for is a library, class, component that allows my pc to communicate with Arduino 2009 via USB.

The USB arduino uses an FTDI USB to serial chip as its normal pc interface. If you want to use some other type of USB interface, you will really have to do your homework as it is probably very complex.

A standard Arduino is presented to the host computer as a serial port. Get a good serial port component for Delphi and you're good to go.

There are a few resources on the internet for using an Arduino with Delphi.

This is the one I'm going to buy:

Unfortunately I haven't understood so much... my fault, surely not yours! =)

The USB arduino uses an FTDI USB to serial chip as its normal pc interface.

This means that arduino uses the USB port but communicates in the same way a RS232 would do (so I have to consider the USB like a RS232)?

I read an other time the post that I'm trying to understand (http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1212061286) but I still have a lot of questions :-/ .
I visited this site: http://www.thepenguincult.com/proyectos/arduino-delphi-control/.
I found the code and everything else but one doubt is still breaking my head :D.
I have to connect arduino with the USB cable right (or is it just for write the code in the microprocessor)? I don't have to use a RS232 port on my pc or the arduino RX and TX, right? (I don't have a RS232 on my pc)

Thanks
Sorry for the question avalanche ;D .

I have to connect arduino with the USB cable right

Yes. The Arduino then appears to the PC as a COM port (also known as a serial port).

is it just for write the code in the microprocessor

The Arduino IDE writes the code to the microprocessor using the COM port.

I don't have to use a RS232 port on my pc or the arduino RX and TX, right?

Right. And, it's a good idea not to use RS232 to talk to the Arduino, since RS232 signals are +12V and 012V, rather than 0 and 5V that the Arduino can tolerate.

There are chips (MAX232) that can manipulate the RS232 voltages to TTL levels that the Arduino uses (and vice versa) if you have some device that only outputs RS232 signals that you want to connect to the Arduino.

is it just for write the code in the microprocessor

The Arduino IDE writes the code to the microprocessor using the COM port.

This is kinda a big problem :frowning:

My pc ports: 4 x USB 2.0, 1 x VGA, 1 x HDMI with HDPC support, 1 x Headphones/speaker/line-out, 1 x Microphone-in, 1 x Line-in, 1 x CIR, Card Reader 5in1 (SD, MMC, MS, MS PRO, xD), 1 x RJ11, 1 x RJ45.
Do you know if I can write my programs to Arduino with this configuration? Do I need an adapter and in this case does it exist? What kind of adapter do I have to search for?

An other avalanche =S sorry! ;D

Do you have an Arduino? Did it come with a cable? Can you plug that cable into the Arduino? Can you plug that cable into the PC? Can you upload any sketch to the Arduino?

If you answered yes to all of the above questions, you CAN do serial communication with the Arduino.

I haven't bought it yet but I've found a better offer than the one wrote before. Watch to the list of components in the main image and in the list of images below. Do you think that those are enough to connect Arduino to my pc and program it?

All that you need to program the Arduino are an Arduino to program, a USB to mini USB cable, and the Arduino IDE.

You can program it to read from/write to the serial port that the FTDI chip on the Arduino interfaces with.

You can (I presume) write applications using Delphi to write to/read form the specified serial port. If you specify the one that the Arduino is connected to, you can make Delphi talk to the Arduino.

Watch to the list of components in the main image and in the list of images below.

What images?

Sorry... somehow I can't link the page...
Anyway I understood all I need to understand. I'm really grateful for your help =).
Thanks again and see you soon!