Arduino Team to Launch Branded Arduino Robot

Per videos released by David Cuartielles on the official Arduino Google+ channel, a "turtle" type 2 deck, 2 wheel (blue of course) Arduino Robot will be coming out soon.

The unit has an LCD display (similar to the one coming out for Esplora), 8 or more Tinketkit connectors, buzzer, rotary encoder, etc.

The unit will look alot like the older Lottie Lemon robots sponsored by the team.

More details, video links, pictures at http://21stdigitalhome.blogspot.com/

Oooo!
Want. XD

Amazing, might just have to purchase this robot. Usually I build my own chassis and hardware, but this looks amazing. Very fast little bot!

I`d rather there was a space to mount a pen up/down servo where the LCD panel is.

(I know, you can`t please all of the people) :slight_smile:

I`d rather there was a space to mount a pen up/down servo where the LCD panel is.

Mount a camera with a small aperture and an open shutter above the robot, pointing downwards, and use the LCD backlight to do your drawing!

More information:

Arduino Team Blog Post: Arduino is ready for Maker Faire Bay Area, and you? | Arduino Blog

Documentation (now up here on arduino.cc): http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Robot

Has a price been announced?

Who cares?
Just take my money!

So how much it would cost for this robot ?? :slight_smile:

In this recording from the Maker Faire, Arduino's Massimo Banzi tells that the basic robot will cost about $159 EDIT:$259 (see minute 5:30).

EDIT May 19: This article claims that the price is $275. Also, in the video linked there, Massimo seems to say $250-259 (but it is quite difficult to understand in this one, see minute 03:40).

Listening to the first video again, it seems to be indeed $259.

EDIT May 26: Sells for $275 at Makershed.

From here

AA battery slot 4 alkaline or NiMh rechargeable batteries

The battery holder holds 4 rechargeable NiMh AA batteries.

NB : Do not use non-rechargeable batteries with the robot

:~

KristofB:
Listening to the first video again, it seems to be indeed $259.

Ouch. Seems steep. I may just build my own..

$259?, wow, I can see schools etc paying that price, but not individuals.

AWOL:
From here

AA battery slot 4 alkaline or NiMh rechargeable batteries

The battery holder holds 4 rechargeable NiMh AA batteries.

NB : Do not use non-rechargeable batteries with the robot

:~

They should be a little more explicit about what they mean. There are
rechargeable alkalines now,

Just a guess, but I imagine they are using a boost converter that requires < 5V
for Vin, and 4 regular alkalines would produce 6V.

I like what they did on the Pololu Zumo robot. The board uses 4 AA-cells and
the dc-dc converter puts out 7.45V, and they run the motors at that voltage.
Plus, you can plug in your regular Arduino board and power it off the same 7.45V.

Looking forward to a release date :slight_smile:

I see today (23.05.13) that the official Arduino Robot is available to order on Maker SHED. (I sure hope my wife doesn't check the credit card balance right away).

OverTheHill

Lakes:
$259?, wow, I can see schools etc paying that price, but not individuals.

Schools etc = tax payers :wink:

Lefty

MakerShed also has a Robot sensor expansion package available for $100

I think Arduino team would do the entire community a favor following this up very, very quickly with an option that includes magnetic rotary encoders, gyro and 2-axis accelerometer, for very basic navigation capabilities and gyrodometry.

I have seen a few of young budding roboticists get disappointed and disillusioned with their hobby as soon as they learn the limitations of dead reckoning, and more often they are unable to take the next step on their own without a lot of guidance.