16x16 RGB LEDs with 96 register, good idea?

takao21106:
There are multiplexed displays, which are used indoors (mainly),
and there are also non-multiplexed displays, for high brightness requirements (outdoors).[/b]

So if you don't need highest possible brightness, using 96 chips is kind of a "waste".
It's no harm or technically wrong, but more labour, more cost, and more PCB space.

LEDs these days still have high brightness (indoors) using upto 8x multiplexing.
It could even be, in the end you get more brightness than you want, for indoors.

I participate here with replies, because my latest matrix technically is very similar, 768 individual LEDs are not much different than 256 RGB LEDs. The controllers I use are for refresh/brightness control only, not to build up the matrix graphics. The smallest unit I use are 6 LEDs sharing cathodes, and this equals 2x RGB LEDs.

Many of my earlier designs in the end were using too much components, and did not fully work as I wanted. Luckily, most of them were really very small LED matrix circuits.

How much experience does the OP have with RGB LEDs, power supplies, and any kind of LED matrix?

Am I understanding this correctly? You're saying that when using multiplexing, even having a 5mm LED on for 1/8th of the "on" period still gives out brightness comparable to if it was on the entire length of the "on" period (not multiplexed)?