Linux & Arduino

I have the "Serial Port" section shaded out on my linux box. I've already created & added myself to three groups, but I's a Linux noob & I'm not sure I did it right. I really have to be able to upload the code to my Arduino on my netbook, any ideas?

You can't upload ? Where is the problem ? :~ :~ :~ :~

Yes. The IDE works fine - I installed with "sudo apt-get install arduino arduino-core". Not sure if I messed up the group part.

So , where is the problem ? Can you upload a sketch ?

You most likely need to join the group dialout so that you have access rights to the /dev/ttyACM ports.

Entering the command, groups, in a terminal will show the groups you belong to.

In a terminal the command, sudo adduser YourUserName dialout, will add you to the dialout group, if needed.

Logout and login after you run adduser.

I'm in dialout, tty1, tty & uucp, among others - those four are ones I created & joined to try to fix this.

You usually don't have to create the groups, you just join them. What distribution are you using? Try another USB cable? What board are you using? Does the os see the board when plugged in?

In a terminal type lsusb, with and without the board plugged in. You should see a change in the number of devices if the board is recognized by the system.

I'm using Crunchbang. No difference with "lsusb" when I plug the Arduino Nano in.

Well ok, things to consider.

1. The nano is defective.
  2. A Chinese 'Arduino', with maybe a bogus ftdi chip or a substitute chip with no Linux driver?
  3. The usb cable is 'bad'. Even if it works for something else.
  4. No kernel driver? locate ftdi_sio.ko should give results
  5. USB 3 port try USB 2 port or use a USB 2 powered hub between nano and computer.

Thanks..

1..3 - The Nanos (I use several) & cables all work fine on my windows box. I'm using an Acer Aspire One with Crunchbang.

How do I check the kernel driver?

Ok, I found that file in a directory with a bunch of drivers, doesn't seem to be in a text format though. Is simply having it ok, or do I have to check or update it somehow?

Just having it is enough. Well I'm out of ideas other than using another linux distribution. Good luck.

Seems to me I've had this same problem with every Linux distro I've tried on my other computer as well...

I've been using ubuntu, with Arduino, for years with no problems.

tf68:
I've been using ubuntu, with Arduino, for years with no problems.

Me too.

I do have some minor issues with serial monitor and Pro Micro, but have discovered ways around them. No problems with Nano 3.

Currenly on 12.10 and really must upgrage to 13 or 14. Any problems expected?

@PaulRB

I just installed xubuntu 14.04 and had no problems getting Arduino set up and running. Install Java and join the dialout group. Good to go it seems . Minor hiccup with Java, couldn't install from ubuntu and had to use the Oracle pkg. Not a show stopper. Use the LTS releases and save going through all the pain of getting your system the way you want it.

Good luck.

Linux Mint Cinnamon with Mega2560 and TFT.

1. Why is the reset switch put in the middle of the board, where you can't get at it if you have a shield plugged in !
  2. Do I need to reset the target board after I upload a sketch ? I used to need to do this with uC boards when I had a ROM emulator plugged in and uploaded the uCode.
  3. As normal user, I change the permissions for the detected port, compile and upload a (sample: TFTDisplayText) sketch apparently successfully, but the target seems to do nothing.
  4. If I run the IDE as root, then try to upload, I get "
    Binary sketch size: 8,718 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)
    Binary sketch size: 8,718 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)
    avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"
  5. The IDE shows "Arduino UNO on /dev/ttyACM0, even though it is a Mega2560. Is this ok ?

Thanks

You are better off belonging to the dialout group to get permission to use the /dev/ttyACMn ports.

The command, groups, in a terminal will show the groups you belong to.

In a terminal the command, sudo adduser YourUserName dialout, will add you to the dialout group, if necessary.

Choose the right board to work with the Mega. Tools | Board | "Arduino Mega 2560 or Mega ADK"

A program compiled for the Uno isn't likely to work on the Mega. Also the Mega and Uno have different booloaders so the upload will fail.

Shields that block access to the reset button should provide one on the shield.

UPDATE: The screen on my Aspire One D250 broke, which is apparently common. I've replaced it with a newer Aspire One, which I just threw my SSD & memory into, and the IDE now recognizes my Arduinos - I guess it was some kind of issue with the computer itself.

Now I'll see if I can log on to the TKIP-protected network at work - my old one wouldn't.