Reducing Servo Fire Risk

I am designing a robotics system that will be running for days at a time. This constant use has made me worried about the servos being used and how they will hold up. They will only be moving once or twice an hour and carrying small loads. Will them constantly being powered up be a problem? What steps should I take to reduce the risk of fire or any other systems failure? Thank you for your help.

first step is not to use hobby servos.

Paul

TeslaWannaBe:
What steps should I take to reduce the risk of fire or any other systems failure?

The causes of fire can be related to other systems failures, but there can be hundreds of types of systems failure that don't result in a fire. You need to be a lot more specific.

I appreciate the underlying logic of @Paul_KD7HB' s comment - though I'm not sure what he has in mind as an alternative.

However I suggest that the first thing you need to do is to describe the project you are trying to implement. Without a context it is very difficult to offer useful advice.

There is a huge difference between designing something that you will "play" with from time to time and designing a machine that will work unattended for very long periods without your supervision. That's why industrial automation products are more expensive than Arduinos.

...R

What I meant was to be an industrial engineer and use industrial engineering methods, not inquire on a basically hobby forum. How important is the operation you are concerned about? If it fails and if it catches fire, will it cause massive financial harm?

Is the system designed for maintenance and easy component replacement? How often is maintenance required? Are moving parts using sealed bearings, or are they requiring daily lubrication?

Your servos should have a document relating to temperature and expected lifetime.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
What I meant was to be an industrial engineer and use industrial engineering methods,

I agree completely IF ...

We don't yet know if the OP is planning to make an industrial system or just some cheap long-running hobby system.

...R

Why keep the motor powered up 24/7 ?

How about adequate gearing that it will hold it's position without being energised?
(This applies to equally to steppers and DEC motors.)

I am looking to build a social interactive robot for deployment in homes. Much like Jibo or LG's Hub, as commercial examples, it would be stationary and rotate its head and body to 'communicate' with users. The head and body need to be able to maintain position when not interacting with people. Would it be best to leave the servos running, or power them down when no one is around? If powering them down is the best option, what is a good way to go about that? I know H-Bridge chips are good at controlling DC motors, could they also be used for servo motors?

If you are considering an anthropomorphic robot (human-like), would not gravity/friction keep the parts stationary, if not being moved?

Paul

Servos, and DC motors are most often referring to the same things...
Motors - read this...
Servos, Steppers, and DC motors...

TeslaWannaBe:
I am looking to build a social interactive robot for deployment in homes.

In that case you need to treat every aspect of the design as if it is an industrial product with all of the cautions that @Paul_KD7HB has mentioned. Indeed the environment will be much tougher than industry because there won't be formally trained staff using it.

• Milk will be spilled on it.
  • The dog will chew it.
  • Cat hairs will get into it.
  • It will get knocked over and fall on hard surfaces.

Things you can't possibly imagine will happen to it and when you are told about them you will realize that it should have been foreseeable.

...R

TeslaWannaBe:
I am looking to build a social interactive robot for deployment in homes. Much like Jibo or LG's Hub, as commercial examples, it would be stationary and rotate its head and body to 'communicate' with users. The head and body need to be able to maintain position when not interacting with people. Would it be best to leave the servos running, or power them down when no one is around? If powering them down is the best option, what is a good way to go about that? I know H-Bridge chips are good at controlling DC motors, could they also be used for servo motors?

If you are really serious about this project, and I assume you are, then a single individual cannot accomplish what you want to do. You give example if commercial robots. Do you actually believe a single individual created these devices?

You need to assemble a team who is capable of designing and producing the necessary physical, electrical and software portions. Then you need to evaluate the cost and possible price if you are envisioning a commercial produce. This all is based on you being able to finance the project.

Paul