Motorcycle Control Panel with Arduino + Bluetooth

You will need to go to the gearing to get engine torque v.s. wheel torque if you want the torque at the engine, but I don't understand:

diam of wheel =6.33ft,

This wheel is taller than I am.

The force given the mass would cause about a 1G acceleration so the calculation is likely good through that point.

Sorry, NOT diameter of the wheel - the circumference = 6.33 ft
My mistake :-[ :-[
po't

I'm guessing the acceleration is not quite right as you go up.

Acceleration is ft/sec^2 statically, but to be correct, it is dv/dt - change in velocity with time.

Kinetic energy is 1/2 m v^2 and maybe that would be a better place to calculate the energy per second.

Acceleration is ft/sec^2 statically, but to be correct, it is dv/dt - change in velocity with time.

Kinetic energy is 1/2 m v^2 and maybe that would be a better place to calculate the energy per second.

Thanks for the help.
in your equation 1/2 m v^2, is that (m in meters, or m = mass) and v is velocity? in what? meters/second?

Thanks for the previous help.

1/2 mass * velocity squared

Hi,

If you want to calculate the torque or power on wheel, you have to use something like this:

Addition of Forces=m*a

where forces involved are: Wheel force due engine & cinematic +Rolling force + Aerodinamic force + Force if you are sloping

Fwheel+Crmg+1/2rhoCxAv^2+mgsin(alpha)=m*a

Usually, you use it in a straight and you could cancel mgsin (alpha).

As Power=F*v where v is speed, you could know Power on wheel.

The problem of a bike, that Cx depends a lot of driver and his position...

Not easy to use this method in your application....

Cheers!! :slight_smile:

Igor R.

Hi bill2009,
I have 3 motorcycles, and I just recieved my first arduino. And, I've dreamed of "upgrading" my '80s bikes for a long time. Thanks for the inspiration!
Ever thought of an in-helmet HUD for your speed, temp, gear, plus?
I'm so glad other people are doing this...

Nova Noon

Not a HUD, but an RGB LED to translate radar detector sounds.

The optics are a pain for a HUD. But I'm working on getting data out of my Harley.

It's flickered through my fevered brain. I sometimes look at those alarm clocks that can project the time on the ceiling and I think hmm....

At the moment I just have a simple array of 5 leds permaently mounted to show what gear the bike is in. Any other I/O is done by serial cable or bluetooth.

My secret weapon is a new nerd-watch from TI that I'm hoping to mount on my handlebar as a wireless display.

I just got the eZ430 watch the other day and was thinking exactly the same thing!!!

Actually I was thinking of a GPS/Arduino unit somewhere on the bike that
will send real time speed info to be displayed on the watch...

Any idea where to start?
I have even unpacked my watch (no time for a new project yet).

I've given up on the watch (if anybody wants it speak up).

Basically you can only drive it from a USB host like a PC.

There's a lively community but nobody seems to be interested in arduino-type projects.

I think i can be driven by an arduino, but no library exists (that I know of)
so some pretty in depth coding must be done!

But it's possible. And not-so-easy projects are what drives us, right? :slight_smile:

I think you might have the watch backward, if I understand right the devkit lets you change the watch's programming, which can take sensor data and display it.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/ez430-chronos.html?DCMP=Chronos&HQS=Other+OT+chronos#description

You would need the Arduino to be attached to one of the sensor transmitters so the watch would receive the value, decode it and display it.

The watch is reprogrammed via USB, but communicates by spy 2 wire or some kind of sensor wireless.

Yes tz, when I say "driven by an arduino" thats what I ment... :sunglasses:

I was responding to:

Basically you can only drive it from a USB host like a PC.

It would be difficult to get a USB host on an arduino, but probably not whatever they are using for the RF sensors.

I think you might have the watch backward, if I understand right the devkit lets you change the watch's programming, which can take sensor data and display it.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/ez430-chronos.html?DCMP=Chronos&HQ...

You would need the Arduino to be attached to one of the sensor transmitters so the watch would receive the value, decode it and display it.

The watch is reprogrammed via USB, but communicates by spy 2 wire or some kind of sensor wireless.

I'd be delighted to be wrong. What's an example of a sensor transmitter? I looked at the technique being used for the heartrate monitor but it was proprietary hardware and software - not something I could tie in to.

that link didn't seem to work for me by the way.

The CC1110 and or the CC1111 seems to be the chip that does the RF stuff and there are separate devkits for it, one using the USB dongle and it does mention virtual serial port. I don't know about the link - it works from here (in the USA). the CC1110 devkit page is at: http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/cc1110-cc1111dk.html You might want to try googling for the watch and or CC1110

Thanks. I did see those chips although not the $650 development kit. I keep an eye on the mailing list to see if anyone gets interested in micro to watch comm but i haven't seen it yet.

Nice color combi with the bike. Very nice gadget you have created. Good luck with the modifications.

blog