Question about women and UK/US English

Dress sizes in UK and US are very similar. Say, UK size 14 is similar to US size 12. Now, Google keyword tool shows me that 600,000 UK women type in something like "size 12 dress" when they are looking for a dress. Now, what is confusing is that very small number of women is typing in "size XX dress" at all, when they start looking for a dress.

I guess, probably very rationally, that women in US are not all same size. Is there some language quirk in US English that would make women search for their dresses using some other phrase?

Basically, it seems that women in US rather look for type of dress, like 'evening dress' and then drill down other attributes. Is it possibly the case that shops in US are so well stocked, that they have all the sizes, all the time?

Women, Dresses & Sizes..... :o

are you extremely bored? :wink: or is this some kind of analysis for your thesis? :wink:

Well I can't help much as:
I am not a woman
I have never purchased a dress
I have never looked for a dress
I am a UK citizen

Oh well it's bar sport so ask what you like :stuck_out_tongue:

Mowcius

While I do buy dresses they are inevitably for someone else.
I say a program on the TV that said many women would not buy a dress if it was bigger than a size 12 even though they probably needed to. This has lead manufacturers making dresses much bigger than the size they put on them.
It could be that these women want a size 12 dress no matter if it fits them or not.

While I do buy dresses they are inevitably for someone else.

But not exclusively? ;D

Lefty

well i can't help alot since i'm from holland
and when i buy a dress i do it in the store.
because I want to feel if it fits and see if it looks nice.

btw our size system is completely different.
i'm a 36-38-36...

btw our size system is completely different.
i'm a 36-38-36...

Can you convert that to bytes for us? :wink:

nope :stuck_out_tongue: never shopped in UK or US ...

edite:
Let me adjust that with these words:
I have a normal body.
I'm 24 yrld. btw

American people are getting to fat (no offense) :stuck_out_tongue:

American people are getting too fat (no offense)

All of them?

noooo just 60% of the population.
here in holland it is 30% or so...

noooo just 60% of the population.
here in holland it is 30% or so...

It's probably Obama's fault. :wink:

You're making assumptions about your data.
The google keywords tool can tell you what is being searched for, but google doesn't know what gender the users are (yet).

You think it's odd that american women search by dress size when actually you should think it's odd that so many British men want to look at size 12 women wearing a dress. Go to google images and search for size 12 dress. See? They're almost all real women wearing a dress instead of just the dress or a manequin wearing a dress.

It's bad methodology to make assumptions about your data, and remember assumption makes an ass out of u and mption.

Just remember that half of the people you know are above the average weight.
:slight_smile:

I am a UK citizen

[ OT pedant alert ] No, you're a UK subject. [/ OT pedant alert] :slight_smile:

[ OT pedant alert ] No, you're a UK subject. [/ OT pedant alert]

Lol! Subject sounds cool than citizen! I wish i were a subject!

I wish i were a subject!

Maybe you are indeed a subject?

AWOL, you're wrong. At least, I strongly suspect you're wrong.

As far as I can tell, a British subject is one who isn't from UK[, etc] or a commonwealth country but under British control, such as British India pre 1949.

I think you're right.
Although born a subject (and still have an old passport stating this), I find am now merely a citizen.
Ho-hum!

it seems that women in US rather look for type of dress, like 'evening dress' and then drill down other attributes.

That would match my wife and daughter's behavior, I think.

Is it possibly the case that shops in US are so well stocked, that they have all the sizes, all the time?

Actual stores divide things into large sections: "teen", "petite", "normal", "plus sizes." Online you find whole stores specializing in particular size ranges, but in general the process seems to be "find a dress you like and then curse because it doesn't come in your size." Are there actually UK stores that sort FIRST by size?

36-38-36 if is the same here is the size of the shirt, size of pants and size of shoes, or maybe size of shirt, size of bra, size of pants...