Go Down

Topic: Arduino Due with a Heat Lamp (Read 513 times) previous topic - next topic

timtheb

Can I use an arduino due to control the voltage going to - lets say- a 600 W heat lamp? If not, can I use an arduino Uno? If that would not work, what may I use?

Thank you!

DVDdoug

You can use a solid state relay.    

The relay should be rated for at least the AC voltage where you live, and at least the required current.   Power is calculated as Voltage x Current, so 600W @ 120V is 5 Amps, or 2.5A @ 240V.

A regular electro-mechanical relay would require a driver circuit, although you can get relay boards with a driver built-in.   (Most relay driver boards will require 5V so the DUE won't work.)

timtheb

May I use an uno with the relay?

aarg

May I use an uno with the relay?
What on earth do you mean? Reply #1 applies to either Arduino.
  ... with a transistor and a large sum of money to spend ...
Please don't PM me with technical questions. Post them in the forum.

timtheb

What on earth do you mean? Reply #1 applies to either Arduino.
He says it right there. Most relays require 5V, so a DUE won't work. But I am guessing I just have to look at the operating voltage for the Uno to see if a relay would connect?

TomGeorge

Hi,
When you say you want to "control" the heat lamp, do you;

Want to simply turn it OFF and ON?
or
Want to control its heat output LEVEL?

Thanks.. Tom... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

timtheb

Hi,
When you say you want to "control" the heat lamp, do you;

Want to simply turn it OFF and ON?
or
Want to control its heat output LEVEL?

Thanks.. Tom... :)
I would like to control its heat output level

ChrisTenone

I would like to control its heat output level
In that case you will need a sensor (a temperature sensor like the TMP35) and some way of turning the heat lamp on and off like a relay. Of course there is the software too. You will want to minimize the number of time you turn the lamp on and off (you don't want it strobing as you get close to the desired temperature. Google around for thermostat hysteresis.
Atmosphere carries combustion vapors to places where they will do good instead of harm - Mike Faraday's 'History of a Candle': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W0MHZ4jb4A

Whoops ::)

timtheb

Thank you for your help everyone!

Go Up