Go Down

Topic: Arduino Due Bluetooth Speaker (Read 552 times) previous topic - next topic

GregTheHun

Hi all,

I was working on a project, and I was wondering how easy it would be to power (from a Due) a Bluetooth transceiver, SD Card reader, and possibly an Aux jack from the 5V pin on the Due itself. (Most likely I won't need to on the Aux)

I was wanting to use the Due because I want to program different buttons to play different sounds depending on which one I pressed. However, it seems all the Bluetooth and SD Card reader breakout boards I've found run on 5V vs the 3.3V that the Due supplies mostly.

Thank all! :-D

spycatcher2k

DON'T run anything from any micro-controller board, always use a separate power supply, you may damage your micro-controller board if you don't.
Mrs Drew
-=-
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - UK PCB Fab Company
I will design & code for you, but I will also charge you (PM me)
If you don't like my answers, realize : I'm not being cheeky, I'm Just trying to prompt you to use your own brain/google etc.

GregTheHun

Jan 12, 2018, 09:28 pm Last Edit: Jan 14, 2018, 06:09 am by GregTheHun
I should be more specific, the items I was speaking of were this (bluetooth):

Bluetooth Chip

And this (SD Card):

SD Card Chip

They appear otherwise to work with other Arduino products like the Mega, but I wasn't sure if they could be fed of off the Due at all.

Thanks.

spycatcher2k

This has already been answered - DO NOT POWER ANYTHING FROM YOUR MICROCONTROLLER BOARD!!!!!!!!

work with & powered by are 2 totally different questions.
Mrs Drew
-=-
If you don't like my answers, realize : I'm not being cheeky, I'm Just trying to prompt you to use your own brain/google etc.

GregTheHun

So, without arguing semantics, would these devices work with this board?

spycatcher2k

Yes - but not arguing semantics, You would be the first to bring it up if I said 'Yes it'll work fine', and you BLOW your DUE by taking power from it!

something like

Arghh - that Spycatcher said I could do this and now I've blown up my DUE!

Remember, electronics and programming are precise pursuits, asking the correct question is everything! Asking the wrong question MAY destroy your stuff.

:)

Mrs Drew
-=-

GregTheHun

Jan 12, 2018, 10:17 pm Last Edit: Jan 12, 2018, 10:41 pm by GregTheHun
Fair enough,

The main reason I was asking is because the devices in question appear to be able to be fed off of the pins from the Arduino itself (maybe using a breadboard). However, if they must be separately fed from another power source. It will be back to the drawing board for me.

I know that there are plenty of other shield devices out there and I didn't know if they could be powered like those do.

Grumpy_Mike

the devices in question appear to be able to be fed off of the pins from the Arduino itself
Their are two types of pins on an Arduino, power and signal. The signals will only ever be 3V3 which is just about fine when sending an Arduino output into a 5V powered device. However reading a 5V signal into a input pin on a 3V3 device will fry the input pin if you are lucky and fry the whole device if you are not.

It depends entirely on the device you are going to use. SD cards are always 3V3 signals and power although an SD card or shield might have a 5V to 3V3 regulator on it. A a Bluetooth transceiver can be either 3V3 or 5V and I have no idea what you mean by an Aux jack.

Quality answers require much more precise information than you have given.

GregTheHun

Fair enough as well.

Specifically, I want to be able to use those devices listed above and I was attempting to feed them the 5V power coming from the Due "5V" pin on the board itself. What I was ultimately getting to is whether or not I can use the 5V coming from that pin for any power the devices I listed above might require.

So, if that clarifies things, or if you need more info. Let me know.

Thanks all! :-D

Nick_Pyner

Jan 13, 2018, 12:57 am Last Edit: Jan 14, 2018, 01:18 am by Nick_Pyner
this (bluetooth):

http://a.co/iQG57ng

And this (SD Card):

http://a.co/iGUUIj0

They appear otherwise to work with other Arduino products like the Mega, but I wasn't sure if they could be fed of off the Due at all.
Check the data sheets.
As I understand it, the Due has a 5v pin and it is just like that on any other Arduino. The essential difference in this regard between Due and Mega is, unsurprisingly, that the Due 3.3v pin can deliver far more power than that on the Mega. The Due caution "3.3v only" is about the signals, not the power.

The Bluetooth looks just a like a normal one. They say it is for 3.3v but I bet it isn't, and on the back it will say power 3.6 - 6v, and level 3.3v. This means you power it off Arduino's 5v pin, just like everybody else does, and the only difference with its use on the Due is that you do not need a voltage divider on its pin1 Tx as it is already 3.3v.  Further, Bluetooth's output is 3.3v, which is kosher for all Arduinos

I'm not familiar with that SD module but Adafruit are never short on information, and these guys say it is for 5v and 3.3v systems. SD is 3.3v but most modules work off the 5v pin and the only difference is that some allow you to bypass the on-board regulator by using a 3.3v pin they provide.  I imagine you would do the latter with the Due, if only to spread the load around, but not Bluetooth as there is no means for bypassing its regulator.

I submit there is no need to "argue semantics", the idea of providing a separate power supply for the SD and Bluetooth is absurd. If you needed to do that you wouldn't be using an Arduino, they would have gone out of business years ago.

I might point out that none of the above
1. addresses the AUX jack, which sounds as sinister as it is nebulous, and a likely reason for an separate power supply.

2. confirms the Bluetooth you describe is kosher for purpose. This is about protocols.  I recognise that the HM-10 is pretty versatile but I don't know anything about that.

GregTheHun

Well, I might go ahead and order these products.

In terms of the aux jack, that was meant (in terms of a soundboard) to allow a user to use that or the bluetooth module for passing audio signals to a sound source from the SD Card reader.

However, I may be doing some research yet in trying a way to have all three of those devices, plus switches for selecting which audio gets played (preferrably in the form of keypads, since I understand you can have one pin do multiple keys).

Thanks all so far! :-D

ard_newbie

The maximum total current you can draw from your board is 800mA for the Due.

Grumpy_Mike

The essential difference in this regard between Due and Mega is, unsurprisingly, that the Due 3.3v pin can deliver far more power than that on the Mega
You sure that is the right way round?

The Due pins have a much lower current capability than a Uno and seeing it has a lower voltage as well then the power delivered from a Due pin is lower than that the Mega.

Well, I might go ahead and order these products.
What products you have not told us what products you are thinking about ordering. All you have mentioned is he function of the product, that is not enough information for anyone to tell you anything. So go ahead as it looks like you don't want to cooperate.

GregTheHun

I have linked the products above in the beginning. #2

Grumpy_Mike

Yes those two devices can both be operated by 3V3 so use that and not the 5V option, then all the signals will match.

Go Up