Go Down

Topic: SM3 as first robot, wanting to eventually build survelience bot (Read 277 times) previous topic - next topic

GypsyBuilder

Hi i am wanting to purchase a FPV Wifi DS i am thinking the Kuman sm3 is the best for me, I am good with PC's and taking things apart putting back together to fix but new to coding. I need a 4wd platform that can go outside, there is a 3 inch and 5 inch patio step one in the front and back. I am disabled and want to be able to send a bot out when I can't go outside alone (which can last months), I want it to be able to have ability for attaching a grabber.  I'd like to hear whats happening too (but that can come later)if dogs are barking, I'd like to send bot outside look around, and see if there is something. I have windows 10 pc spectre, and galaxy s8+ Samsung phone. I really want to order my bot asap to start (it was suppose to be an xmas present but I want to be sure I get the best one for my needs), and have asked all over if someone knows if the Kuman SM3 is a good robot to start with or if there is better one with fpv? I've seen the sm5, but don't know if that can handle the steps. Also I like the look of wheeled platforms better, (especially the ones with ) better than tracked but looks aren't as important... if i could get an answer I would SO GREATLY APPRECIATE IT! ANYTHING ON FPV WIFI ROBOTS, OR chassis platform that can handle the steps! thanks

TomGeorge

Hi i am wanting to purchase a FPV Wifi DS i am thinking the Kuman sm3 is the best for me'
I am good with PC's and taking things apart putting back together to fix but new to coding.
I need a 4wd platform that can go outside, there is a 3 inch and 5 inch patio step one in the front and back.
I am disabled and want to be able to send a bot out when I can't go outside alone (which can last months), I want it to be able to have ability for attaching a grabber.  
I'd like to hear whats happening too (but that can come later)if dogs are barking, I'd like to send bot outside look around, and see if there is something.
I have windows 10 pc spectre, and galaxy s8+ Samsung phone.
I really want to order my bot asap to start (it was suppose to be an xmas present but I want to be sure I get the best one for my needs)
 and have asked all over if someone knows if the Kuman SM3 is a good robot to start with or if there is better one with fpv?
I've seen the sm5, but don't know if that can handle the steps.
Also I like the look of wheeled platforms better, (especially the ones with ) better than tracked but looks aren't as important...
if i could get an answer I would SO GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!
ANYTHING ON FPV WIFI ROBOTS, OR chassis platform that can handle the steps! thanks
Sorry but had to spread you post out, its best to write in point form to explain your situation
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html
Can you please tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?
Thanks.. Tom.. :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

GypsyBuilder

Wow, SO SO SORRY, I only did that because I thought maybe this wasn't the right section to post in, I haven't used a forum like this before only animal ones, it was an accident really sorry. What I read before posting was not the same post I DID read before posting.
I didn't mean to upset anyone first day first post. I'm just trying trying to find help and I've asked everywhere, facebook, called stores, asked amazon.
I'm fairly good with electronics, I just recently took apart and reconditioned, cleaned and replaced parts of a broken original '85 Nintendo NES, it now works wonderfully better than the one that wasn't broken so i took that apart too checked it out cleaned it completely and put it back together.
I also have taken apart an ultrasonic essential oil diffuser (it was my first thing to take apart that small) when water got in the base and it stopped working. I cleaned it up dried it out checked the wiring, and it did work again for a few months, then died again. When I worked on it the first time it looked like there was a section melted, when I opened it up the second time there was no doubt melted and black area, so I threw it away.
I have a good high power pc, i7 core, 512gb ssd 16 gb of ram.
I have never used arduino, and did program in highschool, but that was a long time ago.. but I've been doing alot of research the last few months and I def think arduino is the way to go. The SM3 comes with the uno r3, I spoke to a salesman from fry's Electronics (there is nothing around here in robotics) who said i needed a mega 2560, for what I want it to do, i don't know if he was trying to upsell me or if that's true. but I assumed i'd eventually upgrade to that.
I don't know much about programming, I was looking into doing The Great Courses Plus when I found Codecadamy, which is free, and all about coding...  my husband is a mechanical journeyman.
I use windows 10 love it, love windows and always have, I ave android phones, (if this matters)
I can fix most of my family and I's tech issues. we recently got a psvr for xmas and I've figured out from youtube and other sites that once i get the parts 9 i need another hdmi adapter for my pc) i can hook it to my PC and you steam with it.
I hope that helps. I have left the house less than 7 times since october, and need something to do, I'm not suppose to go outside alone due to my blood pressure dropping and me passing out) I've read all my books a million times, (love to read) and when i started watching Colin Furze, and the Hacksmith on youtube it got me thinking that this would be good for me.
 So since then (last 12 weeks or so) i've been researching I am big on research, which is why i haven't just purchased this... I also like the sm5, and the Longrunner uno, but don't know if their chassis will do what I need, (the steps) and don't want to spend that much money right off the bat if this isn't the right bot for me or able to do what I want. I LOVE the LOOK of the rc rock crawler cars, as the tires but that may be going to big. I tend to do that.
I don't want to get a robot that I'll have finished in 1 day, and have everything figured out in a week, I want to be able to continue to upgrade add to it, etc. Something between that and overwhelmed and feeling like I'm way over my head. Things like this help keep my mind off the pain, and I need something to help with that badly right now. hope I answered everything, thanks, and sorry again.

TomGeorge

Hi,
No problems, this is the section to discuss you project plans.

If you have a UNO, good, it is a very good be to learn coding.
If you have done some coding, no matter how long ago, that is good.

What is an SM3, there are so many different packeges around that a picture or link to where you bought it will help.

Your project is advanced for a beginner, so you will have to start with basic UNO programming to understand the C++ and the I/O hardware/software capabilities.

Tom... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

GypsyBuilder

this is the sm3 $130 it says it can be completed very quickly. the others include the chassis that i wonder if it could get up a 3 inch or 5 inch patio step.

Kuman SM3 Wi-Fi Robot Car Kit for Arduino, 4 Wheel Utility Vehicle wifi Intelligent Robotics arduino DS robot HD camera wireless Robot Smart Car kit 7.4V
This item Kuman SM3 Wi-Fi Robot Car Kit for Arduino, 4 Wheel Utility Vehicle wifi Intelligent Robotics arduino DS robot HD camera wireless Robot Smart Car kit 7.4

this is the sm5 286
Features: $286

1. Arduino multi-functional WIFI smart car driver board
2. Built-in 2200mah 8A lithium battery, Support powerful and long-endurance Playing time
3. With 12V lithium battery charger
4. 9G video cloud deck
5. Industrial-grade infrared sensor of obstacle avoidance
6. Iron Man II chassis coming with three sets of installed Sensors base
7. Compatible with Android, and IOS and other smart phone and PC controller.
8. Through 100M kbps WIFI video digital transmission module,video resolution up to 1280*720p,5DB Increased external WiFi antenna,stronger signal,long-distance transmission
9. Infrared sensor with ultrasound,the robot's automatic obstacle avoidance function performed well.

Tips: The kit is without arm.

Module factory has built in a good program, you need to assemble together ,then start playing!

SM5 packing list:
1.Arduino Compatible UNO R3 Robot Drive motherboard×1
2.WIFI arduino Robots PWR Expansion board
3.MTK7620N WIFI Module 5.0(Jump cap*2)×1
4.Robot Link 300M 5DB Antenna×2
5.9G Steering engine×2
6.Metal track Chassis×1
7.Infrared obstacle avoidance sensor×2
8.Pan nylon pieces×1
9.720P Camera×1
10.2200mAh 12V 8A battery×1
11.12V Charger×1
12.Ultrasonic module×1
13.Nylon column×8 14.15cm Wireway×1
15.USB Cable×1
16.Cap screw M3×8
17.Without cap screw M3*10
18.Screw Cap M3×20
19.MICRO MINI USB transfer Network port Cable×1
20.Nylon band (fixed battery)×3
21.Infrared seat×1
22.Ultrasonic element seat×1
23.4P DuPont Lines×1

this is the longrunner $286 if i knew that these chassis could get up steps i'd feel better

1.Robot-Link V5.0 MT WIFI module 5DB single external antenna 100M Kbps WIFI video digital transmission module .
2.Arduino multi-functional WIFI smart car driver board
3.Robot-Eyes HD 720P Camera.
4.Built-in 2200mah 8A lithium battery, Support .powerful and long-endurance Playing time .
5.With 12V lithium battery charger.
6.9G video cloud deck.
7.Two Industrial-grade infrared sensor of obstacle avoidance(installed five, and three additional purchase).
8.Robot-Link V4.0 AR WIFI module.
9.Arduino UNO R3 Master control board .
10.Ultrasonic ranging * 1 / obstacle avoidance module Iron Man II chassis coming with three sets of installed Sensors base.
Tips: The kit is without arm.
Module factory has built in a good program, you need to assemble together ,then start playing!

GypsyBuilder

sm3
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071Y6G7NL/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3IRH1M32QHQ71#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div

sm5
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XPDPXYY/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2NIJBZ299PP6N&colid=2563D3FQ20PN5&psc=1

longrunner
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-tutorial-Intelligent-Robotics-Educational/dp/B017XBZZU8/ref=pd_sbs_21_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B017XBZZU8&pd_rd_r=188AMZ16JHDMZKP0Q5P6&pd_rd_w=EOrTS&pd_rd_wg=3HFAJ&psc=1&refRID=188AMZ16JHDMZKP0Q5P6 :)

pert

Wow, SO SO SORRY
Don't worry about it too much, just don't do it again please. Crossposting is a huge problem on this forum because we might spend a lot of time to answer a question only to find out someone already did the same earlier on the other post.

don't know if that can handle the steps.
I don't think any of those have a hope of navigating your steps. That would take a very large robot. You could get someone to install a ramp for it.

I spoke to a salesman from fry's Electronics (there is nothing around here in robotics) who said i needed a mega 2560, for what I want it to do, i don't know if he was trying to upsell me or if that's true. but I assumed i'd eventually upgrade to that.
A Mega 2560 is nice because it gives you lots of memory to add new features to your program without having to worry so much about every byte. It also gives you more pins to attach other things. You would definitely want the Mega for the arm. It should be pretty easy to upgrade to a Mega on any of those robots. The Mega is a longer board but it has mounting holes in the same places as the Uno.

I don't have any experience with this. They all look like a lot of fun. My advice is to do some research on what systems are used for control and for the video stream. If you get something locked into proprietary, poorly documented, limiting firmware and software that will be an increasingly big problem as you want to do more advanced things over time. If you can replace it with actively developed open source software or write your own then that's no problem.

E_rik

I also have an outdoor robot but to take the doorstep from 5 inch you need bigger wheels or even tracks...that Kuman can't do that with the small wheels...or you have to make a ramp.

Even 10 inch wheels can't do it.

Go Up