Arduino-based opensource NiMH battery charger

About the main IC component:

Since the LM2941 is not as common as the LM317 is, I am looking for equivalent ICs (to the LM2941) and found the Sharp PQ20RX11 and the New Japan Radio NJM2389F (this last one does not have the on/off pin) to also include in the tests/experimentations…

[pict Sharp PQ20RX11]

[pict New Japan Radio NJM2389F]

So far, the LM317 with a power MOSFET “on/off” switch is the “most common/popular component” option, undoubtedly the easiest to get and the one that enjoy the bigger amount of online information, plus also important, the cost of the components are very low…

a) Easy to find “on the shelf” (all electronics shops keep in stock)
b) Cheap
c) Large amount of online information (accumulated know-how is huge)

[SOLAR]
The reason I am thinking/going to test all these options is because I want to make them work together with solar panels, which I also want to make as “desktop” (small and flexible) as possible…

[pict Solar Cell]

[BATTERINO UNI(Cell) - Arduino to its “core”]
I think one Arduino can handle more than one Charger-Circuit at the same time, but when we think about the creation of a possible “Unit of Renewable Solar Charger” and consider the VAST variety of batteries sizes, types and shapes (physical), perhaps one MCU per Charger-Circuit will be the most powerful solution, so we can think about stripping down the Arduino Platform to its core engine, plus some few basic components… so we can make it economically viable, from the point of view of this idea specifically…

[pict Batterino Uni]

Again, I like to express my opinion that, EMBEDDING Arduino hard/soft (or any other MCU platform) into things may sound unnecessary luxury, but I believe that the “POWER” we can get back will justify the thinking, as it will allow us to think “higher” than pure (clever) electronics and its benefits…

Well, lots of steps need to be accomplished (first the charger, then the solar, etc), it may take some time but I think it can be done and believe it make a lot of sense…

Valter