stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

spcomputing:
So the "A new network interface has been detect" box did not come up after plugging in the Uno?

You will have to bear with me until a real Mac user comes by :wink:

No, no dialog box appears when I plug in the Uno.

spcomputing:
Does "Network Preferences" show the Uno anywhere? If the driver enumerates the Atmega8/16u2 it should show up as a device on the network. If so, what kind of properties does it have?

Network Preferences shows a USB Modem, Not Configured. I do not believe that this is the Uno, however, because the entry persists even without the Uno plugged in.

I am fairly sure the Arduino application detects the Uno board, because when I plug the Uno board in, there are two more selections to choose from under Tools > Serial Port.

Thanks for the replies!

Another point, because my "Uno" was actually connecting as a Duemilanove-ATmega328 (not an Uno) the Mac created a serial connection. I loaded the FTDI driver to support this connection.

Are you sure you have an Atemga8/16u2 and not an FTDI chip? If you have an FTDI chip you will need to download:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/MacOSX/FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_14.dmg

spcomputing:

[quote author=James K link=topic=123573.msg972411#msg972411 date=1351281004]
snip

Are you sure you have an Atemga8/16u2 and not an FTDI chip? If you have an FTDI chip you will need to download:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/MacOSX/FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_14.dmg
[/quote]

I have no idea what Atmega and FTDI are, but the box that the Uno board came in says Microcontroller: ATMEGA328P. Is that any help?

Does your Uno look like this:

or this:

Primary focus is on the black square or rectangle to the right of the USB socket. If it is rectangular with pins on both sides, it is FTDI. If it is a square it is either an Atmega8u2 or Atmega16u2.

bravebaobao:
Body feels not good, then go to the hospital for examination, the doctor asked X-rayed, Cheap GW2 CD Keys
X-ray, MD wrote diagnosis, and then I took the diagnosis and film to the doctor. Surprisingly, the doctors took X-ray diagnosis began shaking his head, his mouth Gee, I was immediately pumped wow cool, want to ask the doctor left how long results that doctors say is: "Oh, now young doctors, the handwriting is really bad. "
Diablo 3 Gold

In all my days, I have never had quite a period of wtf as I just did.

spcomputing:
snip
Primary focus is on the black square or rectangle to the right of the USB socket. If it is rectangular with pins on both sides, it is FTDI. If it is a square it is either an Atmega8u2 or Atmega16u2.

My Uno looks like

The chip to the right of the USB socket is square, so I don't need the FTDI Drivers, I'm assuming.

Thanks for the continued assistance.

Do you have a USB hub handy (thingy that plugs into the USB and splits off 3 or 4 other ports)? I am not sure how the MacOS handles the Hub, but with Windoze, it assigns another device and starts the installation process again. Make sure you have proper permissions (User Account with Admin rights).

I solved this problem by selecting a different board. I have an Uno R3 Plus. However, it is an OEM board which means different chips. I was able to get it to work by selecting the Duemilanove ATmega328. works fine now.

Thanks, that solved the problem for my Arduino Uno R3 + Mac combination!

My problem was that I previously installed the FTDI drivers on my MAC even though I was working with an Arduino Mega (Which does not need those drivers) . Apparently the arduino program was using those drivers to communicate with my Mega that is why in Tools-Port I had tty-USBSerialxxx. I uninstalled those drivers and I got tty.usbmodem1411. My arduino MEGA ran perfectly fine. I hope this helps :slight_smile:

When I set up my Arduino App, I clicked through the setup without really paying attention, assuming that the default serial port it listed was the correct one. I got this message when attempting to "Upload" to my Uno using the wrong Serial Port. I was able to change my Upload port to the correct one by going to [Menu Bar] Tools > Serial Port and selecting the USB port where my device was plugged in.

I know this is a dead topic, but I just figured I would post in case other new users experience this.

This error can also happen with the Duemilanove when you have the RX0 port of the Arduino connected to a TX port of a device such as a motor controller. It can be fixed by removing the RX connection. If you need feedback from the device on the RX connection then you may want to install a switch between the device and the RX connection of the Arduino that can be turned off when the USB is connected.

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

I'm having this problem with my diecimila. I've trouble shooted per the page and all above advice. Using OSX 10.9.5. Any other advice? I know the board works since I've used it on my parents' windows PC. Hoping to ise a very working and usable board rather than updating again.

I have the same problem using .... again.

Arduino uno
OSX Yosemite 10.10.1
Arduino 10.6

I reset the Arduino several times, but i don't worked. I updated the drivers .. it didn't work.

Can anybody help with this issue?

I solved the problem not knowing how ...
I installed Arduino software on a Macbook Air and it worked. On the iMac it don't work, I tested out all USB ports.

here is the solution it works fine on Arduino uno

Hey guys I had the same problem. And i check it on three different machines all running different operating systems. Then I found ... arduino uno - Mac OSX Yosemite no serial ports showing for Uno R3 - Arduino Stack Exchange
Seems that even after i installed that USB driver that the first guy said, it still didn't work. Someone else suggested that I CHANGE THE ACTUAL WIRE.... seems that its just for charging not for data transfer and it worked. If you have another wire try to check the other wire. it worked for me.

To resolve this issue did the following:

I disconnected any wire on pins 0 and 1;
Then loaded the sketch on the board;
After loading the program in the arduino, connected pins 0 and 1 to the circuit.

Worked perfectly.

I have helped. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi Guys,

I have the same problem with my MacBook Pro / official UNO.
I have tried to reset it, running a nightly version of the IDE, but no luck.

I am a bit stuck as I can't upload sketches using my Mac, and I cannot use the PC as it is running Windows XP, and it has the famous compiling error "ld returned 5 exit status"

So, I cant even start to have fun with my new toy :frowning:

I have the same problem.

I have a Arduino UNO board with a ATMEGA328P (28 pins), this microcontroller (original) work good, but when I change the microcontroller by other idem doesn't work. I tried to change the board for Arduino Leonardo but nothing.

Thank you in advance