folder

Where could I find the Ardino duemilanove or nano w/ATmega328 zip folder to copy the bootloader in a breadboard on an atmega328

https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/tree/master/hardware/arduino/bootloaders

I could add to tools, boards, the board Atmega328 on breadboard 8 MHz but cannot find arduino duemilanove or nano atmega 328.

I cannot see either in the link you send to me

maybe they have different names than you expect?

I think I found the file but do not know how to download the file to copy it into arduino/hardware

click it and it will open and you can copy paste?

What are you trying to do? Burn a bootloader onto a blank chip?

What are you trying to do? Burn a bootloader onto a blank chip?

Yes, using the arduino duemilanove and breadboard with crystal, 2 caps and 10K resistor. The chip was already loaded with Optiboot and the hex file I use. I need 2009 bootloader since Optiboot cannot read and write EEPROM. 2009 does. I have no means to get ATmega328 with 2009

I can already see the boards duemilanove or nano 328 on tools/boards but when the arduino software is running to burn de bootloader in the chip it says that it cannot open the ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328.hex

I am new on Arduino. The rig I am working on is a keyer for hamradio

Yes, using the arduino duemilanove and breadboard with crystal, 2 caps and 10K resistor. The chip was already loaded with Optiboot and the hex file I use. I need 2009 bootloader since Optiboot cannot read and write EEPROM. 2009 does. I have no means to get ATmega328 with 2009

Where did you read/learn that? I'm not aware that any arduino supplied bootloader that ever directly used EEPROM memory. Reading/writing to EEPROM is something one would normally do in their sketch. I'm sure there could be reasons one might want a bootloader to read the EEPROM for getting startup values, time/date of last shutdown, etc, but as I said I'm not aware of any arduino bootloader that ever utilized EEPROM, it was 100% free for the arduino user's sketch. But perhaps you know something I'm not aware of (wouldn't be the first time :wink: ) So links would be appreciated on the topic.

Lefty WA6TKD

ATmegaBOOT can theoretically program and read EEPROM (ie under device-programmer control.) Optiboot will trash flash if you try. The hex file should be here, within the arduino distribution:

(.../)hardware/arduino/bootloaders/atmega/ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328.hex

Which is where the IDE should be looking for it for the "burn bootloader" command. I don't know why it can't find it.

Where did you read/learn that? I'm not aware that any arduino supplied bootloader that ever directly used EEPROM memory. Reading/writing to EEPROM is something one would normally do in their sketch

The hex file we use is not from Arduino It is made by Chuck W5UXH and we upload to the ATmega328 2009 using thrEe files of AVRDUDE and the command prompt. We can upload the hex file even with Optiboot bootloader but then we cannot read or write EEPROM that goes with the hex file. We need the 2009 bootloader to be able to read and write EEPROM. I bought two ATmega328 optiboot and tried to change the bootloader. After tests on arduino software, I think there is no bootloaders in them,
Chucks can upload 2009 using an ISP board, but I tried to do that using Arduino duemilanove and the breadboard.

Look at QRZ.com/W5UXH

José EA5VK