Getting a serial board

Not sure if this is in the right area, it falls under the "Help getting the Arduino board ..." just not so much the "... Up and running".

Anyway. Is it possible to buy a pre-assembled serial arduino board from anywhere? All the shops listed only stock usb and for my project a serial board would be better suited. Thanks.

have you tried NKC electronics? theere was also another seller on ebay..

Hmm, can you wait 24 hours?
I just got new serial boards in stock and it'll take about a day to have them made into kits; then you can order them assembled too.

@ Bong
I don't think NKC do serial boards, and I could only find freeduino usb on ebay. Thanks anyway.

@ Spiffed
That would be grand. You're not in England are you? What woul'd the cost incl. shipping plus vat be?

That would be grand. You're not in England are you? What woul'd the cost incl. shipping plus vat be?

Sadly for you, we're in Canada. I can't promise on costs yet, but I expect an assembled board to run about $20US. Shipping to the UK starts at $12.40US. So somewhere between 16 and 18GBP all in I expect (the store will do the math)? (Since we're outside the EU/UK, if applicable, VAT will be assessed by customs.)

These are second on today's task list, so I'll have more details sometime this afternoon. I'll send you a PM.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a PM? According to the wiki it could be any of the following, PM - Wikipedia. Looking forward to a full acount of the Principia Mathmematica.

A private message used to converse without dragging everyone else on the board into it. It also generates an email directly to you.

Kits are assembled, just waiting on documentation, any hour now. Also international shipping was severely reduced today, it's something like $3.50 now.

Monty,

PM is Personal Message.

Inside this forum, above each post you can se a PM button, that sends personal messages to the author of the post.

Or at the top of the forum page, you'll see:
"Hey, Monty1987, you have X messages, Y are new."

Click in X messages to open your Yabb2 mail box.

These took way too long to post :-/

You can now buy MaxSerial boards in any format you like, even Fully assembled.

@ Bong
I don't think NKC do serial boards, and I could only find freeduino usb on ebay. Thanks anyway.

@ Spiffed

Here is the Freeduino serial V1.0 kit @ NKC http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260227339944&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Max based kit being listed today. Aprox $4.5 shipping cost to UK.

@ Spiffed
The pay by paypal isn't working for your site. Gets to 'confirm order' then transfers to it paypal - makes you log on and from there on there's no reference to the order. Could we do the orders via email rather than the web?

@nke
Thanks, but I really do need a pre-assembled version.

Monty, I've sent you an email invoice.

Your account is triggering a bug on PayPal's side. Random accounts from the UK have this problem and you may experience issues with other ExpressCheckout stores that also accept Euros.

@ Spiffed
The pay by paypal isn't working for your site. Gets to 'confirm order' then transfers to it paypal - makes you log on and from there on there's no reference to the order. Could we do the orders via email rather than the web?

@nke
Thanks, but I really do need a pre-assembled version.

No problem. We are not competing, just giving you more options :wink:
Actually I think we (spiffed and I) both came with the same idea aprox at the same time and it almost took us the same time to get the boards ready... and I also took the idea of the 3.3V regulator from spiffed. But he sold the first board... congratulations spiffed!

Order all payed for. Thanks for your patience.
By the by, what is max232?

Order all payed for. Thanks for your patience.
By the by, what is max232?

It is an Integrated Circuit that translates the voltage levels in the RS232 port to TTL (5V in case of Arduino). The older serial board tried to simplify the circuit using 2 transistors and some tricks, but using the MAX232 (or compatible IC) is much better, as it deals with the real RS232 voltage levels.