Testing UP501 GPS

Hi everyone!

I've been trying to talk to my UP501 GPS module with no luck. Google offers a nice test link on adafruit: UP501 Breadboard-friendly 66 channel GPS module w/10 Hz updates [MTK3329] : ID 660 : $49.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
Unfortunately I can't seem to figure out if the code on that page is complete, or I needs additional lines to work properly.

Since I doesn't get any response from the module I am wondering if I'm supposed to wait for a satellite signal. I have given it some time, but nothing happens.

Can some of you bright guys tell me if the adafruit-test is idiot-proof and I just have to wait for a signal, or if it is missing some information to ignorants like me?

Does your device have a clear view of open sky?

I've been trying to talk to my UP501 GPS module with no luck.

But, I'm not going to tell you how it is connected, or what code I'm using. I still expect you to tell me what to change. Please hurry.

Sounds a bit silly that way, doesn't it?

But, I'm not going to tell you how it is connected, or what code I'm using.

I simply used the wiring and code from the link I posted( UP501 Breadboard-friendly 66 channel GPS module w/10 Hz updates [MTK3329] : ID 660 : $49.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits ).

Does your device have a clear view of open sky?

I am aware that the module will have a hard time, connecting with the satellites indors. The problem is, that I don't get any response from the GPS whatsoever. Acording to the command set (

http://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/datasheets/Sensors/GPS/NMEA%20manual%20for%20Fastrax%20IT500%20Series%20GPS%20receivers_V1.7.pdf

), I should get some returns from whenever I send a command.

My thought is that further codelines are missing in the test-code from adafruit.

Do you have the correct baud rate (57600) selected in the serial monitor?

Serial.println("Adafruit MTK3329 NMEA test!");

Do you see this message in the serial monitor?

Do you see this message in the serial monitor?

At first it looks like rubbish, but if I change the baud-rate manually in the serial terminal, it spells "Adafruit MTK3329 NMEA test!" as expected. But nothing else happens. Anyways, I should be able to at least see something in the terminal, even though the baud rate is initailly wrong?

How did you solve your problem? :astonished:

There are 2 baud rates one for the serial monitor and one for the GPS device, when you see the Adafrui... message the serial monitor baud rate is correct... what of the other.?

Bob

UP501 is 9600 by default.

#define PMTK_SET_NMEA_38400 "$PMTK251,38400*27"
#define PMTK_SET_NMEA_57600 "$PMTK251,57600*2C"
#define PMTK_SET_NMEA_115200 "$PMTK251,115200*1F"
void setup()
{
Serial.println("Config GPS...");
mySerial.begin(9600);
mySerial.println(PMTK_SET_NMEA_57600);
delay(100);
mySerial.end();
delay(1000);
mySerial.begin(57600);
delay(1000);
do other stuff
}

Now I'd be curious if anyone has gotten the UP501 to run at 115200 for 10hz use?

Now I'd be curious if anyone has gotten the UP501 to run at 115200 for 10hz use?

Using SoftwareSerial? That is a VERY high speed for software serial.

Yes. I don't really know the limitations. What I observe if I set the GPS to 115200 is jibberish in the serial monitor (as though the baud rate were wrong).