How to wire up LM386 amp for audio?

hi-

thanks for the reply! =)

this I dont understand:
"Can you confirm you have connected a second (ground) connection between your sound source and the amplifier circuit ground."

**on my diagram.. you mean the green trace needs to have a 'branch' off to GND?

Also.. should be default GAIN of 20 without anything on pins 1 & 8..right? is that not enough to 'do' anything? The board/pcb I have in my hand doesnt have anything on the 1 & 8 pins..

I 'can' add that if you are telling me that is the error/problem? (but that should only have to do with volume......correct? not working or not working at all?

I have NOT tried a higher supply voltage than 5v... I can try to jump/use my V++ input rail.. (before my 5v vRegulator).. which is controlled by my PSU.. (usually at like 7.4v..to mimic a li-ion pack I'll eventually be using)

No.. . I am NOT sure things are wired correctly... I 'am' sure (however) that it is wired as I have re-created in my diagram above. =)

I do have a digital multi-meter, but am not sure where/what pins I would meter to check things out..

I know my code and PIC is wired up correctly.. as my LEDs and 'animation' (etc..etc) is working fine.. just no 'audio' when I hook my speaker up to the 'amp'..

(again bypassing that and going directly with a pre-amp speaker... using the sound input/green trace and GND works fine.. although a bit 'soft'..)