Burning the Bootloader without  AVR-Writer

"FTDI Bitbang method" (Burn the bootloader without extarnal AVR writer) could run with the Arduino-IDE on Windows-XP.
Please try to this and check.

http://www.geocities.jp/arduino_diecimila/bootloader/bitbang_w_ide_en.html

Thank you kimio.

I did the same for Windows and Mac OS X some weeks ago. Look in the LumiNet thread to see some reactions on this idea if you wish.

Can't you just create an appropriate avrdude programmer description, and skip the wrapper business? Once it's verified to work, submit it back to the avrdude developers, get it integrated into the next release, and the whole world benefits. Plus, no arduino IDE hacking is needed.

-j

Hi bohne.
You already made this !
I want to try your method. But, I can't find it in http://www.luminet.cc.
Would you tell me detailed url?

Hi kg4wsv.
I think so too. I hope this Bitbang integrate into the arduino IDE.
But, I don't have skills of programming to make a Bitbang avrdude-writer for arduino IDE.

I will release the IDE soon, please be patient for a few days.
I did the same as you did I guess. I compiled a special version of avrdude and modified the Java files of the IDE and recompiled it.
I did this for Windows and Mac OS X, but because the Mac FTDI drivers are bad there are some limitations.

Oh great !!!!

I think so too. I hope this Bitbang integrate into the arduino IDE.
But, I don't have skills of programming to make a Bitbang avrdude-writer for arduino IDE.

I don't think I was very clear. Let me try again.

First off, a disclaimer: I could be wrong.

avrdude uses a configuration file that describes the programmer. Included are some programmers that use bit-bang serial connections (e.g. the ponyprog serial).

I think that an appropriate description of the bit-banged connections placed in avrdude.conf could allow avrdude to work directly, without the need for a wrapper program. This has added benefits, such as the ability to work with non-windows OSes, and a silution that could be submitted for inclusion in the avrdude distribution, or failing that the arduino distribution.

-j

There is a feature request in the bugzilla system of avrdude that asks for FTDI Bit Bang support. And some patches for it exist. But I guess two avrdude releases were published and there is still not FTDI BitBang support yet. So at the moment we must supply our own avrdude version along with the official one. Of course it would be great if the official avrdude release would support this Bit Bang programming mode.

Won't generic serial bitbang work with the FTDI hardware?

-j

never tried this, maybe you can investigate it? I think the VCP driver has a bad timing behavior but maybe the idea is just too simple and no one tried it before...

I think the VCP driver has a bad timing behavior

That would certainly be a show-stopper.

I don't have a lot of incentive to work on it, as I've got an AVRispmkII. :slight_smile:

-j

Hi,

I want to know if it's possible to burn bootloader in a diecimila with an atmega8 using the parallel programmer. I've already tried but it says that the avr does not respond, that was expected the signature of the atmega8.

Thanks

I want to know if it's possible to burn bootloader in a diecimila with an atmega8 using the parallel programmer. I've already tried but it says that the avr does not respond, that was expected the signature of the atmega8.

It is possible, but this thread discusses the FTDI BitBang hack. You can use the modified Arduino board to burn the bootloader to your ATMega8 chip.

Parallel Programmers often have timing problems, I don't use them anymore.

I followed the instructions in the photo shown below but THEY DID NOT WORK:

I checked the board schematic and I got it to work.

This should work for the Duemilanove or the Diecimila (I used the Duemilanove) but I checked the schematic for both.

The way I wired it was

1 - 12
2 - 13
3 - 11
4 - reset.

I am sorry for using the same colour for all and the bad photo but it is the best I can do!

I also had a problem with the GUI yuki-lab.jp Version 1.0.5

If the file name is too long it gives error. I had the GUI in my documents and I moved it to program files. I think the long file names caused problems.

I got it working now so I am happy.

Also if the "display window" option is ticked it will not program

Screenshot when display window is ticked and verify is enabled.
'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp>

I will try contact author.

Thanks all

@bohne: Did you find time to summarize your experiences burning the bootloader from macos?

sorry, no :frowning:

But you got it working? Any hints?

i can't upload bootloader for atmega328P
first of all i've to add "-F" option or i get the following error:

avrdude.exe: BitBang OK 
avrdude.exe: pin assign miso 3 sck 5 mosi 6 reset 7
avrdude.exe: drain OK 

ft245r:  bitclk 4800 -> ft baud 2400
avrdude.exe: ft245r_program_enable: failed
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
             Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
             this check.

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.

then the Fuse code i get are:
FF FF 07
bitlock 3F ( finally something right ;D )

if i try to writre the suggested DA FF 05 i get:

avrdude.exe: BitBang OK 
avrdude.exe: pin assign miso 3 sck 5 mosi 6 reset 7
avrdude.exe: drain OK 

ft245r:  bitclk 4800 -> ft baud 2400
avrdude.exe: ft245r_program_enable: failed
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0xffffff
avrdude.exe: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
avrdude.exe: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F
avrdude.exe: reading input file "0xDA"
avrdude.exe: writing hfuse (1 bytes):

Writing |  ***failed;  
################################################## | 100% 0.18s

avrdude.exe: 1 bytes of hfuse written
avrdude.exe: verifying hfuse memory against 0xDA:
avrdude.exe: load data hfuse data from input file 0xDA:
avrdude.exe: input file 0xDA contains 1 bytes
avrdude.exe: reading on-chip hfuse data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude.exe: verifying ...
avrdude.exe: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
             0xda != 0xff
avrdude.exe: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.

so lets carry on with old values...
choosing the right bootloade, "Erase - Write - Verify"... after some sec i get "the program isn't responding....", and still like this after over 5 minutes... the bottom bar is completely empty.. tested on Win7 with administrator privilegies to user and to programs... ARGH!
maybe because the file are in "D:" ????

maybe after i'll test into linux... last (big) hope :wink:

ugh i have the exact same problem as you same error and everything. Did linux fix it? I really need to get the working before the semester ends