My problem with PWM from TimerThree Library

I find that debugging displays usually help. Also in a case like this, isolate it down to a simple sketch with just the Timer3 library in it. Now either that fails after a few days or not. If it fails, there is an issue with the timer (library) or your use of it. If not, the issue is elsewhere, and it just looks like the timer is to blame.

Ok, good thoughts Nick and Rob,

What you say Nick is perfectly true,and my brain tends to think that way when in diagnostic mode.
My preference is to debug the real system as from my experience finding tricky problems on half baked systems designed to trap the error usually does not trap the error.

What I have done is to bring some of the values of Timer3, specifically function "setPwmDuty(char pin, int duty)" to be viewable on the web.
The debug code now looks like this;

void TimerThree::setPwmDuty(char pin, int duty)
{
  unsigned long dutyCycle = pwmPeriod;
  dutyCycle *= duty;
  dutyCycle >>= 10;
  dutyCycleDebug = dutyCycle;			// XXX test
  if(pin == 5) OCR3A = dutyCycle;
  if(pin == 2) OCR3B = dutyCycle;
  if(pin == 3) OCR3C = dutyCycle;
  OCR3BDebug = OCR3B;					// XXX test
}

T3 PWM Period should stay as a constant at 12500.
The value for T3 Duty Cycle should always equate tothe same value of T3 OCR3B, if not then we have a problem.

Also, I took on your suggestion Nick and modified those values you mentioned in post #4 and right away I noticed no PWM and the PID max'd out at 1023 trying to bring down the battery volts back to setpoint.

Then restoring the back to original and it works again, the PID settles back as the PWM does its thing

So, seemingly no go there. I am reading the datasheet on OCR3 but it is a bit to wade through,especially at 01h15.

At least I can now see the actual OCR3B register value in next to real-time on the web so I can keep an eye on it if it decides to fall over.

Paul

I'm just suspicious of all those calculations in the library. Fundamentally the timers are very simple. You have two numbers:

The "count" which gives the period (and thus, the frequency) of the PWM output. Depending on the mode of the timer this is either fixed or in OCRxA.

The duty cycle, which gives the number of "ticks" within the "count" for which the output is high rather than low. The duty cycle has to be lower than the count. Depending on the mode, again, this duty cycle could be in OCRxB.

Example:

Count = 199. Prescaler = 1.

Therefore the period is 12.5 uS (200 * 0.0625 uS). I say 200 because the count is zero-relative.

That being the period the frequency is: 80 KHz. That is: 1 / (200 * 62.5e-9)

(Caveat: this is fast-PWM mode. Phase-correct PWM mode has twice the period and therefore half the frequency).

So far so good. Now valid duty cycles in this example are 0 to 199 where 0 would be "all off" and 199 would be "all on". If, for example, the duty cycle was 220 the timer would not behave as expected because it will never reach the duty cycle count.

However if the duty cycle was 99 then you have a 50% duty cycle (you get 100 out of 200 counts in the "on" state).

Well, I finnaly caught my Arduino out not sending PWM from the TimerThree library again, and have captured from the web page the values I was watching for TimerThree.
What is different is the value of TCCR3A, which normally has a value of 32 when the PWM is working.
This is the first time I have noticed it to be zero while also noticing no PWM output when there is supposed to be.

So, even though I am seeing the counter clocking over, TCNT3 and the values in the output compare register OCR3B being updated, the problem is that somehow the value of TCCR3A has changed and is now zero rather than 32.

Now, every 100mSec I make a call to a TimerThree function, the PWM function, and this is where TCCR3A is able to be changed, as follows;

void TimerThree::pwm(char pin, int duty, long microseconds)					// expects duty cycle to be 10 bit (1024)
{
  if(microseconds > 0) setPeriod(microseconds);

// sets data direction register for pwm output pin
	// activates the output pin
  if(pin == 5) { DDRE |= _BV(PORTE3); TCCR3A |= _BV(COM3A1); }
  if(pin == 2) { DDRE |= _BV(PORTE4); TCCR3A |= _BV(COM3B1); }  // I use this pin
  if(pin == 3) { DDRE |= _BV(PORTE5); TCCR3A |= _BV(COM3C1); }
  setPwmDuty(pin, duty);
  start();
}

As you can see, I use pin 2, and TCCR3A is being bitwised OR'd with _BV(COM3B1)
And I believe this may well be the source of the problem.

Below is a screen capture of the Timer values as I see them in real-time on my web page .

I don't know what is causing the this problem yet, though I am certain if I can follow TCCR3A and _BV(COM3B1) back further I may find the route cause.
Just to note: when I initialise the TimerThree at the start using the built-in initialise function, TCCR3A is set to zero, like thus;

void TimerThree::initialize(long microseconds)
{
  TCCR3A = 0;																// clear control register A
  TCCR3B = _BV(WGM13);														// set mode as phase and frequency correct pwm, stop the timer
  setPeriod(microseconds);
}

So, I am guessing the problem may well be to do with _BV(COM3B1), which I don't yet know what that is or does until I dig deeper.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Paul

TCCR3A is being bitwised OR'd with _BV(COM3B1)

I bitwise OR can never force something to 0, so both those expressions must already have been 0.

But how can _BV(COM3B1) ever be 0? What is the value of COM3B1, if it's > 7 the bit will be off the end and not used.

Rob

Hey Rob and others,

so both those expressions must already have been 0.

OK, right, so if I see that the value of TCCR3A is 32 and all that is done to it is a compound bitwise OR with _BV(COM3B1) as on the following line;

if(pin == 2) { DDRE |= _BV(PORTE4); TCCR3A |= _BV(COM3B1); }

Then how does it get back to being zero and stopping the PWM output on pin 2?

I don't yet know what _BV(COM3B1) is?
I know that when I hover over it in Eclipse IDE it tells me it is a 2 step macro expression;

1. #define COM3B1 5
  2. (1 << (5))

Would someone be able to explain this to me, or help me find some resource for it.
Would or could this be the source of the problem or do I need to look elsewhere?

Paul

In the datasheet for the Atmega2560:

You can see that for register TCCR3A the "bit" called COM3B1 is bit 5 (the 6th one across, it is bit 5 if you start counting at zero).

So your expression: 1 << 5

... gives you that particular bit. If you "or" that into the register you have set that bit.

_BV is just a macro as you've found, so the end result of that is

TCCR3A |= 32;

because COM3B1 is 5 and 1<<5 = 32. Therefore TCCR3B was either 0 or 32 before the operation.

If it was 0 it becomes 32, if it was 32 it stays 32.

Any other value and it becomes some value > 32, but it can never be 0 after that OR.

So how does it become 0? Something must be screwing with it elsewhere, or maybe your reporting it at the wrong time/place.

Rob

Thanks so much for that Nick, you have explained that wonderfully and I can now understand that better.
So, shifting that bit 5 places gives the value of 32 I normally see in this TCCR3A register.
I didn't realise that what I was looking at pointed back to a bit position within that register.

So, just to summarise my program flow around the use of this TimerThree function.

Firstly, I have removed the TimerThree generated 1000mSec interrupt used to call a routine.
That interrupt has been replaced with a standard 1000mSec millis() time check, which works fine.

In my setup() I do the following;

Timer3.initialise(100000);                             // initialise timer 3 and set for a 100mSec period
Timer3.pwm(pin_TurbineDumpPWM, 0);      // pre-initialise the pwm on pin 2 and set for 0% duty cycle

Nick, I need to do that second step to setup the correct operating mode for pwm on specified pin, (you did question my use of it in an earlier post)
When you call the Timer3.pwm, that is where DDRE and TCCR3A get set.

Then in my routine that gets called each 100mSec I do the following;

Timer3.setPwmDuty(pin_TurbineDumpPWM, hydroPID.cvPID)

In the above routine, DDRE and TCCR3A are not re-set at all, and it is assumed that they will hold their initial values from the initial setup function
This function is called by Timer3.pwm and from the Timer3 documentation it states the following;

setPwmDuty(pin, duty)
A fast shortcut for setting the pwm duty for a given pin if you have already set it up by calling pwm() earlier.
This avoids the overhead of enabling pwm mode for the pin, setting the data direction register, checking for optional period adjustments etc. that are mandatory when you call pwm()

Rob, just noticed your post, yes, what you are saying is clear, I can understand that.

But still the problem..

Paul

Rob,

or maybe your reporting it at the wrong time/place.

To check the various values of Timer3 I have inserted the following debugs in the Timer3.setPwmDuty(..) function.
The very function I loop through each 100mSec
I know the values are continuously updated as the TCNT3 counts, as do the actual PWM as set and is seen in both variables 'dutyCycleDebug' and 'OCR3BDebug'

void TimerThree::setPwmDuty(char pin, int duty)
{
  unsigned long dutyCycle = pwmPeriod;
  dutyCycle *= duty;
  dutyCycle >>= 10;
  if(pin == 5) OCR3A = dutyCycle;
  if(pin == 2) OCR3B = dutyCycle;
  if(pin == 3) OCR3C = dutyCycle;

dutyCycleDebug = dutyCycle;		        // XXX debug
  OCR3BDebug = OCR3B;				// XXX debug
  ICR3Debug = ICR3;				// XXX debug
  TCCR3ADebug = TCCR3A;				// XXX debug
  TCCR3BDebug = TCCR3B;				// XXX debug
  TCNT3Debug = TCNT3;				// XXX debug

}

Check out the 'Alarms' page and you can see them all ticking away nicely.
When the problem hits, those values still tick away, except that TCCR3ADebug which is equated to TCCR3A has been set to zero.
Reset the board and away it goes for another few days.

Something must be screwing with it elsewhere

Somewhere, somehow.........

I'm sure someone wiser than me mentioned to me today

Ain't programming fun? , some grayish nomad from up north

Paul

I checked for the occurence of TCCR3A being used elsewhere in the project, and this is the result I get with the reference check;

There are 8 matches, all of which are in the Timer3 library.
You will notice in the image the function disablePwm(..), where TCCR3A bits are cleared, but this function is not called in my program.
In the search section, line 26 is part of the Timer3 initialise function.

There's some smokey black magic happening in there somewhere.....

Paul

Can you please assemble a sketch that just demonstrates your problems with the Timer 3 PWM output? Then I can test that and check what is really happening. Thanks.

From my main program I have cut out the components that relate specifically to TimerThree.

/*-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Timer3_test.cpp

Created on: Dec 14, 2012
        Author: Paul Alting van Geusau
        A very simple sketch to check the operation of the TimerThree Library
        for reliable and continuous PWM operation.

Step 1. initialise the Timer3 for correct mode, PWM on pin 2 with a period of 100 milli second period
        Step 2. call a function every 100 milli seconds to call the Timer3.setPwmDuty(..) function

*/

#include    "timer3_test.h"
#include    "TimerThree.h"

//  const    type        variable        =   value      comment
    const    uint8_t     pin_PWM         =    2;      // PWM from OCR3B
             uint32_t    lastIntTime     =    0;      // last time through the timerInterrupt loop:
    const    uint32_t    intPeriod       =    100;    // delay period to call timerInterrupt loop:

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
//    void setup()
//
void setup() {
//  Serial.begin(115200);

pinMode(pin_PWM, OUTPUT);                         // configure pin 2 for output:

Timer3.initialize(100000);                        // initialize Timer3, and set a 100 milli second period:
    Timer3.pwm(pin_PWM, 0);                           // pre-initialise the pwm on pin 2 and set for 0% duty cycle:
}

//    void loop()
//
void loop() {
    if (millis() - lastIntTime >= intPeriod) {        // is it time to call the process100mS routine:
        process100mS();
        lastIntTime = millis();
    }
}

//    void process100mS()
//    Instead of PID output, we just give it a steady value of 512 for the test
//
void process100mS() {
    Timer3.setPwmDuty(pin_PWM, 512);                  // set the pwm with the output of the pid output to control the SSR:
}

And header file

#ifndef Timer3_test_
    #define Timer3_test_
    #include "Arduino.h"

// function definitions for the project
    void loop();
    void setup();
    void process100mS();

#endif /* Timer3_test_ */

Edit: remember that I have also made a small change in the TimerThree library in the function setPeriod(..) as mentioned earlier and as follows;

void TimerThree::setPeriod(long microseconds)
{            // (F_CPU * microseconds) / 2000000 was original but changed to (F_CPU / 2000000) * microseconds due to potentail overflow condition.
  long cycles = (F_CPU / 2000000) * microseconds;

// rest of function

}

Note: I am using the Freetronics Ether-Mega, so a 2560 based system.

Paul

I ran this slightly modified sketch (added a serial print):

/*-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Timer3_test.cpp

Created on: Dec 14, 2012
        Author: Paul Alting van Geusau
        A very simple sketch to check the operation of the TimerThree Library
        for reliable and continuous PWM operation.

Step 1. initialise the Timer3 for correct mode, PWM on pin 2 with a period of 100 milli second period
        Step 2. call a function every 100 milli seconds to call the Timer3.setPwmDuty(..) function

*/

#include    "TimerThree.h"

//  const    type        variable        =   value      comment
    const    uint8_t     pin_PWM         =    2;      // PWM from OCR3B
             uint32_t    lastIntTime     =    0;      // last time through the timerInterrupt loop:
    const    uint32_t    intPeriod       =    100;    // delay period to call timerInterrupt loop:

//    void setup()
//
void setup() {
    Serial.begin(115200);
    Serial.println ("Starting sketch ...");

pinMode(pin_PWM, OUTPUT);                         // configure pin 2 for output:

Timer3.initialize(100000);                        // initialize Timer3, and set a 100 milli second period:
    Timer3.pwm(pin_PWM, 0);                           // pre-initialise the pwm on pin 2 and set for 0% duty cycle:
}

//    void loop()
//
void loop() {
    if (millis() - lastIntTime >= intPeriod) {        // is it time to call the process100mS routine:
        process100mS();
        lastIntTime = millis();
    }
}

//    void process100mS()
//    Instead of PID output, we just give it a steady value of 512 for the test
//
void process100mS() {
    Timer3.setPwmDuty(pin_PWM, 512);                  // set the pwm with the output of the pid output to control the SSR:
}

I didn't bother with the .h file. I modified Timer3 as you showed.

This is the result:

That's correct isn't it? 100 mS for one full pulse, 50% duty cycle. That was on an Arduino Mega2560 board.

That's correct isn't it? 100 mS for one full pulse, 50% duty cycle. That was on an Arduino Mega2560 board.

Nick, yes that is correct, the period is 100mSec, with a 50% duty cycle as we are feeding 512 into Timer3.setPwmDuty(..)
On an Arduino 2560 board.

Paul

Right, so to save me re-reading everything above, the problem is ...?

Yes, I can understand the thread is getting longer and easy to loose the issue I am having.

Importantly
After a period of time my Arduino stops providing the pwm wiggling on pin 2.
Even though I still call a function to do so every 100mSec, though it should continue regardless of this call.
All other functions in my program continue to operate normally when this problem is present.

In this test we provide a static value of 512 but on my board, this value will range over 0 to 1023 depending on my PID loop controller, hence the 100mSec update.
The period before the failure occurs can vary, I have found it to be typically one to three days, apparently no set period.

For example I reset my board last night and awoke this morning to find no pwm happening when there should have been, my battery bank hit 30Vdc.

Many thanks Nick for your assistance.

Paul

Well, can you reproduce this? Try different values. In particular, extreme ones (eg. 0, 1023 or close to that).

Nick,

Try different values. In particular, extreme ones (eg. 0, 1023 or close to that)

On the board running the program the values do go from 0 to 1023 and anything in between.

When the PID is not putting out any output, it is zero and that is what is fed into the function Timer3.setPwmDuty(..).
Then when the PID is wanting maximum output, that is 1023, that is what is fed into that same function.

So, the value going into the function every 100mSec is more or less constantly on the move.
The problem is not to do with the value I provide to the function I am certain, more that Timer Control Register 3A (TCCR3A) becomes cleared to zero at some point in time.

Paul

Now, every 100mSec I make a call to a TimerThree function, the PWM function, and this is where TCCR3A is able to be changed, as follows;

Well why do you call that every 100 mS? You don't need to change the period, do you? Only the duty cycle.