Converting wireless remote signal to wired

Hi all,

I am completely new to Arduino, and have been looking into using them for a number of small projects I have at the moment. I have been lurking for a while, but haven't actually gotten in to any programming yet.

I was hoping forum members could advise whether a project I have in mind could be accomplished using Arduino, or whether there may be other, possibly easier ways to do this.

I have a remote control that sends a 2.4 ghz signal to a camera to control on/off, shutter etc. I want to place the camera some distance from me, and still use the remote to control the camera.

The remote has no output for "trainer" ports etc like what is found on RC cars and planes.

So I'm wondering, is this a job for Arduino? Is it possible for the Arduino to receive the wifi signal, transmit it along an ethernet cable, then retransmit a wifi signal at the other end for the camera to receive it? Or, is there an easier way to do this? Note, the terrain/environment is such that wifi repeaters or boosters is not possible, this MUST be wired!

Any guidance on whether this is feasible/what parts I would require would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

mg

Question, how do you know the signal coming from the controller is wifi, and not Bluetooth or RF? If your going long distances, then look into fiber optic communications.

HazardsMind:
Question, how do you know the signal coming from the controller is wifi, and not Bluetooth or RF? If your going long distances, then look into fiber optic communications.

I'm pretty sure it's wifi; that's what the specs say.
Cheers
Mg

I have a remote control that sends a 2.4 ghz signal to a camera to control on/off, shutter etc. I want to place the camera some distance from me, and still use the remote to control the camera.

Maybe this would work if you had 2x wireless access points connected by CAT-5 but this will only get you another 100 meters away + wireless range as that's the suggested limit on CAT-5 networking. How far are you talking about?

100 metres would be fine, it's more the terrain that's the problem( heavy foliage, rocks). Any brands I should look at to start with? Thanks a lot!

What camera is in question and what functions do you require to operate?

mg1980:
100 metres would be fine, it's more the terrain that's the problem( heavy foliage, rocks). Any brands I should look at to start with? Thanks a lot!

These Wireless Access Points | WiFi & PoE Access Points | Ebuyer.com are quite easy to setup as WAP.

mg1980:
I have a remote control ... I want to place the camera some distance from me, and still use the remote to control the camera.

That would seem to be the purpose of the remote control. Is it inadequate in some way?

PeterH:

mg1980:
I have a remote control ... I want to place the camera some distance from me, and still use the remote to control the camera.

That would seem to be the purpose of the remote control. Is it inadequate in some way?

Yes, it only has a range of a few metres
Cheers