Benchtop power supply and outlet / other homemade power supplies?

Just took a week or so off my projects to finish one I've had sitting half-done for a while. It's a benchtop power supply/outlet that is controlled by one switch. I used an old power supply from a desktop to get Ground, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V. For the enclosure I used MDF (a pain to finish!!) assembled with all mitered edges. The back is screwed on with non-obtrusive black screws were I to need to give it a good dusting once in a while. I just finished it up about ten minutes ago with some rubber feet and labels for the power knobs. (might be helpful...) The knobs are the RS banana jack/binding post type. I'm thinking this project will come in very handy especially for a benchtop outlet for my soldering iron. The outlet and power supply are switched by the one switch so I can know that everything is off when I leave the room. Does anyone else have a neat homemade power supply they'd like to share a pic or two of?
~Alex

Also I just found my design on Sketchup that I made before even cutting any wood. Check it out:

Quite nice - my only suggestion would be to make the jacks different colors to correspond to "standards" - red for 5V, yellow for 12V, and blue (or some other color?) for the 3.3 volt output...

yes, I was thinking that as soon as I put all three reds in a row... I don't know where I could find these type of jacks in another color though. Maybe a little Krylon plastic is in order...

Digikey, mouser or any other "real" electronics supplier

looks good mate, and very usefull!

How accurate are your voltages? I tried making one a while ago but even with a small load I could not keep the 12v rail above 12v

So where does the power in come from and you did not show or mention that?

dtokez:
How accurate are your voltages?

The voltages are certainly not perfect, but useable by me. the 12V tie puts out ~11.75V solid, I haven't been able to do anything to it that have pulled it much lower.

tytower:
So where does the power in come from and you did not show or mention that?

I guess I failed to mention how the power gets into the box... I just have it hard wired through a three-wire cord, maybe 6 feet long. It allows me to reach an outlet in all the spots I need to use it. So it puts a switched outlet on my desk where I don't need to move shelves and rearrange the house to get at. :roll_eyes:

After using it for a few weeks it has turned out very useful, although one catch I've found is that the PSU has some sort of "short-protection" circuit, so you have to be sure to balance your circuits, unlike the 7805's that you can beat the livin daylights out of! XD