List of your favorite IC's

Your opinions??

It would be a loss (opinion only) if you can't sneak in a fixed 3.3vdc regulator, at least a small TO-92 one for those simple voltage conversion needs that the older arduino boards can't handle well with their 40ma limit on their 3.3 volt pin.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_1323397_-1

terryking228:

Thought you were going to put some voltage regulators in there?

Yes.. I will, real soon.. but it probably will be a $5 assortment because there are lots of possibilities, including my personal favorite LM317 which I once bought a barrel of (literally.. but I'd digress if I started that story).

[voice='charlie_brown']
Rats!
[/voice]

Well, I'll still grab the IC assortment, when it's available, and a couple others too.

The LM317 was the SASE deal, which I didn't get around to taking advantage of. :frowning:

P.D.Q. Bach concert: "Prof Schickele plays whatever piano is available. Exclusively"

Oh god... I know of this... and it makes me feel old.

Hi, OK I'm working on the list / prices / availability...

sneak in a fixed 3.3vdc regulator, at least a small TO-92

OK, I will add a couple. Right now I can only get TO220 LM1117 LDO (Cost is 50 cents and that's 10% of my retail target ) ...and some surface-mount, which I am trying to avoid for these packages..

The LM317 was the SASE deal, which I didn't get around to taking advantage of.

Hey, you have a long memory :wink: and now those LM317T's are in USA and I'm in Italy. But the China price is good...

I know of this... and it makes me feel old.

Compared to who :roll_eyes: ?? When I started work at WELI in New Haven USA there were 100% vacuum tubes and the only semiconductor in the entire place was a 1N34A point contact diode in a modulation monitor :slight_smile:

I'll try to get the first-pass list out today...

Ok, Here's the first-pass on $5 regulator assortment:

$5 Voltage Regulator Assortment (33 chips)	
quantity	Part #	package	description	Volts	Amps*				
2	LM1117-3.3V	TO-220	LDO	3.3	0.80				
5	7805	TO-220	7800 series	5	1.00				
5	78L05	TO-92	7800 series	5	0.20				
1	LM2940-5.0V	TO-220	LDO	5	1.00				
2	7808	TO-220	7800 series	8	1.00				
2	7809	TO-220	7800 series	9	1.00				
4	7812	TO-220	7800 series	12	1.00				
2	7815	TO-220	7800 series	15	1.00				
5	LM317T	TO-220	adjustable	1.2-35	1.00				
5	TO-220 MICA	TO-220	Insulator						
33	Total Chips

OH, THAT is how you get columns to stay! (almost)..

I am still trying to find a low-cost 3.3V LDO in TO-92. The other LDO (Low Drop Out in-out voltage difference) regulators add quite a bit to the total cost.

*Current Ratings: Really there is a dissipation rating that is more important for regulators because heat is proportional to the in-out difference voltage. So the published ratings depend on good heat sinking if necessary, and SOME large in-out voltages will never allow the regulator to run at maximum current.

I added some insulators for TO-220.

Comments, suggestions...?? Thanks!

I prefer the silicone sheet insulators

I agree and the ones I found LOOK like "non-mica" and the supplier had mica as separate product. Looks like this (supplier photo):

Here's a short list of my IC's:

I have a bad habit of ordering complete component lists for projects I never even get to start. Over the years, I've horded hundreds of IC's. I recently began to compile a list, which you see on the link. It's a small fraction of the countless unopened bags I have in my room.

Favorite IC: I have to say, the more useful chips are the ones most people take for granted. Yes voltage regulators are quiet useful, but if it were not for those MAX232 chips, I dare say, the early days of our processors would have been very difficult. To this day, they're quiet a requirement on many of our projects.

Hi, I'm still looking for a locally (China) available good Logic level FET to add to the PowerFET assortment. In a few days after the China holidays and I get some stock, I'll make the assortments available...

Thanks for all the suggestions and help..

Hi Terry,

Here's some Fets that are logic level compatible which I didn't include in my list:
FQD5N20L
IRF634
RLZ34NPBF
FDD7N20

I'm not sure about your rationale behind this...

When starting a project, most newbies usually obtain the parts listed on that particular project instead of using what they have on hand. Getting the project up and running is usually more difficult when using non project-specific parts. Just MHO.

Good luck

Thanks, Mario.. I'll check if I can get those easily..

The idea behind all this is to have a low cost $10 selection of useful devices that could be used in many projects..

Some of us are Parts Junkies :slight_smile:

(Guilty!)

Hey, those new assortments are up at the shop!

http://arduino-direct.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=215
http://arduino-direct.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=214

Time to warm up the CC. :slight_smile:

Hey, those new assortments are up at the shop!

Jeezum Crow! (Vermont-Speak) I don't even get to announce my own stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley:

Actually, we have had some nice deals with a couple of our friendly suppliers. And thanks to many of you here for your suggestions -- always welcome!

Take a look here at all the new goodies: http://arduino-direct.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=new

And, take a look over there: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,75485.0.html

DISCLAIMER: Mentioned stuff from my own shop..!

DISCLAIMER: Mentioned stuff from my own shop... of course !

Hmmm. Not showing USPS as a shipping option. If "CNS FEDEX" in the drop-down = "Local-Country Express ..." might be that's what I want, but I use a different shipping address depending on whether it's coming USPS or some other carrier.

Hi,
Shipping is Yet Another Thing of details to learn about!

We had a shipper who did air freight to US and local delivery by USPS (Like CNS-FEDEX does with Fedex delivery), but we had so many problems with 20 day delays in Customs, we stopped using it. Actual International Post shipping is very expensive. DHL is good but not cheap. If you can handle 10+ days then HongKongAirmailRegistered seems quite reliable and ends up delivered by USPS..

Anyone with shipping expertise and suggestions please let me know!

Nice one Terry, good prices on them goodies :D. Any plan for a shop in UK? lol
I am a noob to these things still but I found a couple IC useful (Don't laugh :P):
MAX1044/ICL7660 Switched-Capacitor Voltage Converters +5v->-5v 100mA
DM74LS138 3-to-8-line decoders or DM74LS139 2x 2-to-4-line decoders.
5.8Ghz Video transimiter: AWM683 module
5.8Ghz Video reciever: AWM682 module

bump

DM74LS138 3-to-8-line decoders or DM74LS139 2x 2-to-4-line decoders. 5.8Ghz Video transimiter: AWM683 module 5.8Ghz Video reciever: AWM682 module

Wow, more stuff to look at...

I'm wondering about all the 74xxnnnn parts.. Maybe I'll look at putting a kit together with lotsa those.. Problem is just handling all those parts to collect in kits is a lot of work for very cheap parts. Hmmm.. any opinions??

I remember buying my first 7490 counter and 7447 7-segment display driver. in a set for about $10. Miraculous stuff. In 1969 anyway :slight_smile:

terryking228:

DM74LS138 3-to-8-line decoders or DM74LS139 2x 2-to-4-line decoders. 5.8Ghz Video transimiter: AWM683 module 5.8Ghz Video reciever: AWM682 module

Wow, more stuff to look at...

I'm wondering about all the 74xxnnnn parts.. Maybe I'll look at putting a kit together with lotsa those.. Problem is just handling all those parts to collect in kits is a lot of work for very cheap parts. Hmmm.. any opinions??

I remember buying my first 7490 counter and 7447 7-segment display driver. in a set for about $10. Miraculous stuff. In 1969 anyway :slight_smile:

Were there 7-segment displays before the 70's then? I think that was the era of the first digital watches, outrageously expensive LED display ones with v. short battery life!

I'm sure there were SOME 7-segment displays before 1970, but 'Neon' "Nixie" tubs with nicely formed numbers were most common.

The first digital clock I built for Broadcast stations in 1970 used the RCA "Numitron" which had filaments in a 9-pin vacuum tube envelope. They were driven by the SN7447s. They looked like this:

Actually they looked better in a dark cabinet...

A friend and I made a few dozen displays with plastic segments embedded in dark "Bondo" type auto body filler. We made 2-foot long strips, and sawed about 24 sections off, polished the fronts a little, and embedded small incandescent bulbs in the back. That was Broadcast Clock V2, followed by the Recording Timer, where you could see the running time from when you pushed "start" on the cartridge tape machine :slight_smile:

Digital Logic. Wow. I was very temporarily the State of the Art in my field. My FET stabilized crystal oscillator with schmitt-trigger output to digital was published in Electronics.

Boy, is that stuff obsolete :slight_smile: I'm trying to stay at least somewhere ON the obsolescence wave :roll_eyes: