Quick question about PC interface passing data to Arduino

Hey guys,
So I'm completely new to Arduino, however, otherwise a relatively intermediate coder. I'm working on a project in which a soil moisture sensor detects when a plant needs watering and then texts/emails the user to alert them.

Basically, I want an interface which will be used on first setup of the sensor, here the user can input a name/ID for the sensor to identify which plant it is, as-well as their email address and phone number to receive the alerts on, this will only need to be run once.

The Arduino will NOT be constantly plugged into the computer and will instead be used in a wall socket.

My question is, what would be the best method of implementing an interface? And how do you get user input and then pass that to the arduino to be used in the program.

Thanks a lot,
Imm

How does the user know how many plants/sensors there are?

I would set up a webpage which all the plants/sensors listed. Next to each would be an empty box to enter an email address and a box to enter a telephone number. Perhaps a drop down box to determine frequency of notification.

Then click submit.

The Arduino would take those values and use them.

If you want to send SMS you will need a GSM shield. To send emails, you would need an Ethernet shield.

Just some initial thoughts.

ieee488:
How does the user know how many plants/sensors there are?

I would set up a webpage which all the plants/sensors listed. Next to each would be an empty box to enter an email address and a box to enter a telephone number. Perhaps a drop down box to determine frequency of notification.

Then click submit.

The Arduino would take those values and use them.

If you want to send SMS you will need a GSM shield. To send emails, you would need an Ethernet shield.

Just some initial thoughts.

Thanks for that, I have a GSM shield and also a WIFI shield, is it possible to have an android app communicate with the arduino via USB?

Were you planning on writing the Android app?

You can communicate Android with Arduino via wifi or Bluetooth.

ieee488:
Were you planning on writing the Android app?

You can communicate Android with Arduino via wifi or Bluetooth.

Either that or a C# gui in which you can send data to the arduino. My main question is in regards to sending the data to the arduino. Can the GUI be programmed in a way that it is only required for first time use and then the arduino remembers the data it passed to it?

Imm:
Can the GUI be programmed in a way that it is only required for first time use and then the arduino remembers the data it passed to it?

Why can't it?

It sounds like you haven't ever worked with an Arduino before.
Perhaps you should.

Imm:
Can the GUI be programmed in a way that it is only required for first time use and then the arduino remembers the data it passed to it?

This sounds like a question deriving from a lack of knowledge about Arduinos and Arduino programming.

You will need to write an Arduino program that is aware that it has not been updated with contact details so that, when it is connected to your PC program it will send a signal that causes the PC to send the data. Then the Arduino program must store the data into its EEPROM memory and from then on, when it is started it will never again ask the PC for contact data.

Of course you probably also want code to verify that the correct contact data has been received and, perhaps, some emergency procedure that would allow the contact details to be changed.

Most of this requires careful consideration of the process. When you have the process designed the coding should be straightforward.

Start with simple PC and Arduino programs that can exchange simple messages - such as "hello" and "world".

...R