Cannot edit posts in forum?

Hi all,

Just wanted to edit one of my posts, and I logged in, and I cannot see a "Modify" button? I would have sworn I have seen a "Modify" button earlier?

Now, apparently, you cannot delete posts from here:
Arduino Forum - Forum dropping posts in threads?

and let's say I'll go along with that - but what happened to editing?

Maybe this has something to do with this "cooking something new for you" business? I can notice also the login button to the playground is gone...

Well, thanks in advance for any answers,
Cheers!

EDIT: There it is, a modify button on this thread... So why don't I have it on my other ones??
... and the reason I wanted to edit is - I made a mistake in the title, but now I can see I can correct it.. Let's see if it works...
EDIT2: it does - so apparently this has nothing to do with "cooking something new", so removed it from title.. Do threads maybe get autolocked here after a certain time?

Do threads maybe get autolocked here after a certain time?

I think it is that you can only edit your last post in the thread.

I can notice also the login button to the playground is gone...

Hmm, hadn't seen that.

Mowcius

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses!!

Do threads maybe get autolocked here after a certain time?

I think it is that you can only edit your last post in the thread.

Well, I'm just looking at this thread - I had the first post, and while it was the only one, I did have a "Modify" button on it, as documented.

Now that I'm back, the first post is still "my last post" in the thread, but now the "Modify" button is gone; I have only "Remove" button now. Would a more proper formulation of that statement be: "you can only edit the last post in the thread, if it is yours." ?

EDIT: Yup, after posting, now I have only "Remove" on my first post; and both "Modify" and "Remove" on this one - so I guess, you can only edit your post while it is the last one in a thread, is this correct?
EDIT2: And all this seems to be so only in a limited ammount of time; there are other threads where I'm both the starter and the last poster, and the last post has neither "Modify" nor "Remove" - so apparently there is a "window" of time, where it is possibly to modify and/or remove posts - and after that, the post can be considered "locked"... Would be good to know what this time period is :slight_smile:

I can notice also the login button to the playground is gone...

Hmm, hadn't seen that.

Thanks - seems fixed now !!

Cheers !

Would be good to know what this time period is

Yes it would :smiley:

Hi mowcius,

Would be good to know what this time period is

Yes it would :smiley:

Lolz ;D

Well, I can see that my second post in this thread still has a "Modify" button, so this is not about "last post".
EDIT: yes, just to confirm - at this time, both my Reply #3 and Reply#5 (this one) have a "Modify" button..

Here is a relevant quote I found from "YaBB Support Codex - Advanced Settings":

Time Lock

Limit time allowed to modify posts?
If checked, limits the time that users have to modify their posts.

Time limit for modifying posts (in days)
Specifies the time limit for users to modify their posts. (The modify limit must be enabled)

Limit time allowed to delete posts?
If checked, limits the time that users have to delete their posts.

Time limit for deleting posts (in days)
Specifies the time limit for users to delete their posts. (The delete limit must be enabled)

So, I guess, only thing needed is for an admin to log on to "Advanced Settings" of this forum, and post the time limits for modifying and deleting posts here :slight_smile: (or, if they are visible through a link somewhere, maybe post that link instead..)

Cheers!

Yeah well we'll just have to wait and see if anyone sees this thread and responds.

Mowcius

Yes, this is a big problem, especially for editing code. I don't see the harm in allowing people to edit their posts, regardless of how old they are. At worst you can make a mandatory "last edited at XXXX" message appear.

Edit - I found a way to modify older posts even if there is no button. Simply submit this URL:

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=dev;action=modify;message=XX;thread=YYYYYYYYYY

where XX is the number of your message in the thread (with the first post being number 0 of course), and YYYYYYYYYY is the thread number. As long as you own the post, you can modify it.

Edit - I found a way to modify older posts even if there is no button. Simply submit this URL:

Code:

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=dev;action=modify;message=XX;thread=YYYYYYYYYY

where XX is the number of your message in the thread (with the first post being number 0 of course), and YYYYYYYYYY is the thread number. As long as you own the post, you can modify it.

Nice.

I will try that and note it down.

Mowcius

An Error Has Occurred!

Error: The Forum Admin has set a time limit of 1 day(s) to modify Posts. This Post may not be altered.

Hmm, looks like it don't work...

So the time limit is a day (apparently). I will remember that.

Mowcius

It worked for me for an older post that had no "Modify" link. I guess it depends on the specific subforum. What a pain.