[MOD] Arduino Enhanced Release 1.0.5 for Windows (installer, drivers, etc) +SRC

eried:
Did you configured antialias=true?

Oh wow - way better now. :astonished:

Thanks.

Is there some document that explains what all of the settings in the preferences file do? I know some are obvious, but others aren't so obvious.

Eried, the splash screen is displayed for a few seconds and then the app simply closes. No error messages or anything.

I haven't installed the full version because I have a SSD in my working notebook, and I am quite concerned (read "paranoid") about wear leveling on the SSD. So I try to avoid large writes to the SSD as much as possible so I have a larger life span on the SSD.

So I cannot tell you if the full version will work, because I won't install it. The original Arduino IDE 1.0.3 and 1.0.1 both work.

Please note that I installed it in a custom location (C:\Devel\Arduino ERW 1.0.3), not in the suggested Program Files folder.

Another question:
Is there any reason why the ERW comes with AVRdude version 5.10 instead of the newer 5.11 ?

PS:
I have a MSP430 LaunchPad forgotten in some drawer and the Energia IDE might be just what I need to dust it off and start using it!

Are all the files 64-bit compatible?

In my experience they are not and I could only use the 32-bit version of the JRE on 64-bit Windows when running the IDE. I only tried it with the standard IDE, so I wasn't sure if you changed some of the files in your version to be 64-bit compatible.

modeller:

eried:
Did you configured antialias=true?

Oh wow - way better now. :astonished:

Thanks.

Is there some document that explains what all of the settings in the preferences file do? I know some are obvious, but others aren't so obvious.

I am not sure, but they are in the code, so if there is someone obscure you can check the source code to get more details in github :slight_smile:

AlxDroidDev:
Eried, the splash screen is displayed for a few seconds and then the app simply closes. No error messages or anything.

I haven't installed the full version because I have a SSD in my working notebook, and I am quite concerned (read "paranoid") about wear leveling on the SSD. So I try to avoid large writes to the SSD as much as possible so I have a larger life span on the SSD.

So I cannot tell you if the full version will work, because I won't install it. The original Arduino IDE 1.0.3 and 1.0.1 both work.

Please note that I installed it in a custom location (C:\Devel\Arduino ERW 1.0.3), not in the suggested Program Files folder.

Another question:
Is there any reason why the ERW comes with AVRdude version 5.10 instead of the newer 5.11 ?

PS:
I have a MSP430 LaunchPad forgotten in some drawer and the Energia IDE might be just what I need to dust it off and start using it!

What Louis Davis says seems to be correct. You maybe require the JDK in 32 bits. About: "AVRdude version 5.10 instead of the newer 5.11" can you tell me how to check this, I am still confused since you (or someone) commented this weeks ago.

eried:
PS: I will try to add the new features.

In case you run out of idea: a "remove trailing spaces" pre pass could be added to the auto format source code.

eried:
What Louis Davis says seems to be correct. You maybe require the JDK in 32 bits. About: "AVRdude version 5.10 instead of the newer 5.11" can you tell me how to check this, I am still confused since you (or someone) commented this weeks ago.

Thanks. I'll try and install the 32-bit JRE.

To check the version of AVRdude, just run (from a command prompt):

avrdude -?

the version is the very last info shown, and with version <=5.10, the results are a bit garbled in the screen (it is neat in 5.11).

hole:

eried:
PS: I will try to add the new features.

In case you run out of idea: a "remove trailing spaces" pre pass could be added to the auto format source code.

Any example?

Type any line of text, then hold the space key. It will add spaces at the end of the line. :slight_smile:

It does no do any harm to keep them there, but I find it annoying. So I like to clean up. Especially if I release code.

Notepad++ -> TextFX -> Trim Trailing Spaces does it for me.

When I open the IDE I get an empty window. If I then go and open one of my programs it opens yet another window. Is there any setting that will stop the second window from opening. I just want the code to appear in the window that starts when the IDE starts. I looked at the preferences file and didn't see anything that looked like the setting I needed.

hole:
Type any line of text, then hold the space key. It will add spaces at the end of the line. :slight_smile:

It does no do any harm to keep them there, but I find it annoying. So I like to clean up. Especially if I release code.

Notepad++ -> TextFX -> Trim Trailing Spaces does it for me.

Ah, ok, it's doable.

modeller:
When I open the IDE I get an empty window. If I then go and open one of my programs it opens yet another window. Is there any setting that will stop the second window from opening. I just want the code to appear in the window that starts when the IDE starts. I looked at the preferences file and didn't see anything that looked like the setting I needed.

I can research this.

So, pending stuff to add/research until now (ideally for the 1.0.4 update):
-remove trailing spaces
-reuse window
-upload hex option
-change to Source Code Pro font
-some fixes from Energia -> Arduino (like 8.3 naming issue to remove the requeriment of PATH modification, some selection issues)
-check avr compiles version

AlxDroidDev:

eried:

Eried, I gave the 32-bit JRE a try. I have GOOD and bad news. Let's go to the bad news first.

Here's what I did:
Totally uninstalled JAVA from my notebook (I had JSE + JRE for Java 6 and 7.0.10)

Then I installed:
(1st) JRE 7.0.15 32-bit
(2nd) JSE + JRE 7.0.15 64-bit

Still it didn't run, and this is the bad news. Checking the log file, I noticed it was correctly looking for the JRE I had installed, but I only found the 64-bit JRE.

What I did then was to remove the JAVA folder from the Arduino ERW folder and then create a symlink to the 32-bit JRE.

To do this, open a command prompt as administrator and issue the commands:

CD "C:\Devel\Arduino 1.0.3 ERW" This is where I have my ERW IDE installed.
MKLINK /d java "c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7"

Then I ran Arduino ERW and... SUCCESS!

Based on my experience, I'd like to make 2 suggestions:

• Either force Arduino ERW to look for a 32-bit JRE (and ignore any 64-bit JRE, since it won't work)
  • or Let the use specify what JRE to use (either through the command line or in an INI file, like eclipse does in the eclipse.ini file)

This way users won't have to resort to the gimmick I did, which was to use the mklink. MKLINK has been present in Windows for a long time, first from the Resource Kits and them they started being shipped with Vista. Not many people, however, know about it. MKLINK works just like the symlink stuff from Linux.

Thanks again for all the attention and keep up the good work.

Hi eried,

can you please verify this bug in editor window? Scenario:

After pressing the Replace All button the editor hangs. I must kill the process in task manager. It works fine in official v1.0.3 IDE.

qwertysimo

Another one?

In editor, when you have more opened tabs with saved contents, switching between tabs indicates change in code by adding asterix after tab name but there was no actual change made.

AlxDroidDev:

AlxDroidDev:

eried:

Eried, I gave the 32-bit JRE a try. I have GOOD and bad news. Let's go to the bad news first.

Here's what I did:
Totally uninstalled JAVA from my notebook (I had JSE + JRE for Java 6 and 7.0.10)

Then I installed:
(1st) JRE 7.0.15 32-bit
(2nd) JSE + JRE 7.0.15 64-bit

Still it didn't run, and this is the bad news. Checking the log file, I noticed it was correctly looking for the JRE I had installed, but I only found the 64-bit JRE.

What I did then was to remove the JAVA folder from the Arduino ERW folder and then create a symlink to the 32-bit JRE.

To do this, open a command prompt as administrator and issue the commands:

CD "C:\Devel\Arduino 1.0.3 ERW" This is where I have my ERW IDE installed.
MKLINK /d java "c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7"

Then I ran Arduino ERW and... SUCCESS!

Based on my experience, I'd like to make 2 suggestions:

• Either force Arduino ERW to look for a 32-bit JRE (and ignore any 64-bit JRE, since it won't work)
  • or Let the use specify what JRE to use (either through the command line or in an INI file, like eclipse does in the eclipse.ini file)

This way users won't have to resort to the gimmick I did, which was to use the mklink. MKLINK has been present in Windows for a long time, first from the Resource Kits and them they started being shipped with Vista. Not many people, however, know about it. MKLINK works just like the symlink stuff from Linux.

Thanks again for all the attention and keep up the good work.

Nice, I will see what can I do, mainly I am just using the launcher the oficial IDE created (my modifications are VERY Little there) but I will check.

qwertysimo:
Hi eried,

can you please verify this bug in editor window? Scenario:

After pressing the Replace All button the editor hangs. I must kill the process in task manager. It works fine in official v1.0.3 IDE.

qwertysimo

Thanks for the report. Will check & fix this.

qwertysimo:
Another one?

In editor, when you have more opened tabs with saved contents, switching between tabs indicates change in code by adding asterix after tab name but there was no actual change made.

Well, this is by design but it is not very "Smart". I will also try to check if is easy to fix

Hi again,

found another bug that does not exist in official 1.0.3. Scenario:

Open a sketchbook that has at least three tabs (create folder Test in your sketch directory and create three files inside: Test.ino, Test2.ino and Test3.ino). When you press Ctrl + Alt + right arrow, editor jumps to the third tab, Test3.ino, instead of the second one. Ctrl + Alt + left arrow jumps back to the first tab.

Workaround: Click on the dropdown list on the right of the tabs and select Next Tab menu item. From this moment Ctrl + Alt + right/left arrow works as expected.

Can you fix it? Thanks.

Hi

Great software, solved a major problem of me not being able to upload to my Leonardo with Win7 64Bit.

Upload NOW works (but I have to always hold down the reset button). If i don't it says uploaded but isn't (It does however send the signal to put it in programming mode but deosn't actually program).

My problem now is that the Serial Monitor does not work. The window opens, but does not actually connect. If I howver use the "official" 1.0.3 ide release, I can use the serial monitor, it connects and I get the results. BUT I cannot use it normally as it will not upload to teh leonardo...

Between the 2 I can manage, but maybe this serial monitor is a simple issue to resolve.

Thanks in advance.

qwertysimo:
Hi again,

found another bug that does not exist in official 1.0.3. Scenario:

Open a sketchbook that has at least three tabs (create folder Test in your sketch directory and create three files inside: Test.ino, Test2.ino and Test3.ino). When you press Ctrl + Alt + right arrow, editor jumps to the third tab, Test3.ino, instead of the second one. Ctrl + Alt + left arrow jumps back to the first tab.

Workaround: Click on the dropdown list on the right of the tabs and select Next Tab menu item. From this moment Ctrl + Alt + right/left arrow works as expected.

Can you fix it? Thanks.

This is strange because the official IDE does not works in my machine at all, so I am not sure what is going on but I will try to check this too. I am guessing the official ide jumps only 1 tab in your machine, if this mod jumps 2

piashaw:
Hi

Great software, solved a major problem of me not being able to upload to my Leonardo with Win7 64Bit.

Upload NOW works (but I have to always hold down the reset button). If i don't it says uploaded but isn't (It does however send the signal to put it in programming mode but deosn't actually program).

My problem now is that the Serial Monitor does not work. The window opens, but does not actually connect. If I howver use the "official" 1.0.3 ide release, I can use the serial monitor, it connects and I get the results. BUT I cannot use it normally as it will not upload to teh leonardo...

Between the 2 I can manage, but maybe this serial monitor is a simple issue to resolve.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I don't have a Leonardo or similar to check/fix this, so on the next update I will try to migrate the "good" parts related with the Leonardo (but I think you are using 1.5 not the 1.0.3 official one?)

So, pending stuff to add/research until now (ideally for the 1.0.4 update):
-remove trailing spaces
-reuse window
-update to the new signed driver & remove win8 warning/tutorial
-upload hex option
-change to Source Code Pro font
-some fixes from Energia -> Arduino (like 8.3 naming issue to remove the requeriment of PATH modification, some selection issues)
-check avr compiles version
-check "Replace All" button hangs
-check the "*" symbol added on switching tabs
-reset in the serial monitor window
-check Ctrl + Alt + right/left arrow

eried:
I am guessing the official ide jumps only 1 tab in your machine, if this mod jumps 2

Guessing right.

qwertysimo:

eried:
I am guessing the official ide jumps only 1 tab in your machine, if this mod jumps 2

Guessing right.

Windows version? language? etc

The code to switch the tab it is commented out in the official ide, but in my machine that does not work properly, so I re-enabled it.