Arduino Nano v3 atmega 328p avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Can you provide a link to the Nano's you have?
Are these official Arduino Nano's or clones?

Which bootloader are you flashing onto them?

Since you are able to flash sketches with the ISP, can you verify the serial interface is working by flashing a sketch that uses the serial interface and interact with the Nano using the Serial Monitor. Start with the ASCIItable example or something similar to that.

This will help narrow down if you are having problems with the USB - serial interface or if it is isolated to the bootloader.

Can you provide a link to the Nano's you have?

Mine looks a little bit different, here is a picture: http://image-upload.de/image/7JTtWt/bed6e86995.jpg

Are these official Arduino Nano's or clones?

They are clones

Which bootloader are you flashing onto them?

To the first I flashed the default bootloader shipped with arduino 1.0.4 (Select Arduino Nano w/ ATmega328), Tools "install bootloader". The second one has the untouched bootloader which was shipped with the divice. (Third arduino went back to supplier)

Start with the ASCIItable example or something similar to that.

I have flashed ASCIItable onto both. Arduino Serial Monitor is showing lots of blanks. RealTerm shows me 8448 "NUL" Values. TX led on Nano is on while transmitting.

Thanks for your help!

It seems like the baud rate is off by a factor of 33 between the FTDI and the 328.

If you load the blink sketch and have it set for 1 second On and Off, does the LED blink at 1 second intervals?

I made a messurement with the blink sketch over several minutes, the timing of the 328 seems ok, 1000ms on the 328 equals 1 second in real live...

Hi, I had similar problems with two Nanos from ebay. (W7, 64bit and XP, FTDI driver Version 2.08.28)
I used the exe installer from the FTDI site to install the previous driver version.
This solved my problems.
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM20824_Setup.exe
(Changing only the comport driver in the device manager didn't work for me)

Thank's for that hint - I used the .exe but I had no success.

I found out that changing comportdriver and .exe didn't change all files of the driver. I manually replaced the files with the ones shipped by ftdi with 2.08.24 and I'm running the following driver files right now (all placed under C:\Windows\system32):

• drivers/ftser2k.sys Version 2.08.24 by FTDI Ltd.
  • drivers/serenum.sys Version 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255) by Microsoft Corporation
  • ftcserco.dll Version 2.01.03.1 by FTDI Ltd.
  • ftserui2.dll Version 2.08.23 by FTDI Ltd.

Still having the same problem...

Finally I got another Nano. This one is working out of the box, so no driver issues or anything like that.

But three defect Nano's from two different dealers - there must be a defect series out there. Normally I would say "you get what you pay for", but finally the cheapest version from china works. The other ones from the european dealers did not... (I still can use them, but no serial output and flashing only via external programmer).

Definitely the change of the FTDI driver back to 2.8.24.0 solved my Problem !!!!

My Arduino Nano is a SainSmart V3.

For win8

Control Panel -> Devices and Printers -> Click on the FT232R USB UART -> Select Hardware from the top -> Properties -> Change Settings -> Select Driver from the top -> Update Driver -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from list... -> Select the USB Serial Converter Version:2.8.24.0 [10.4.2012] -> Done :slight_smile:

Trick: Do not select the new Version:2.8.28.0 [18.1.2013]

The same solution may be used for the PL2303 chip driver. Always, select the old version of all drivers :).

See this thread for more info on the FTDI issue:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=173676.msg1311792#msg1311792

If the older FTDI driver solves the problem, that is an indication the FTDI chips used on that device may be fakes.

JGarden:
Definitely the change of the FTDI driver back to 2.8.24.0 solved my Problem !!!!

My Arduino Nano is a SainSmart V3.

Same here. I just got a "Gravitech US" Nano v3 from a friend and started going blind from the fast flashing of the white led. This fixed my problem. Kind of a shaky start if you keep in mind that I never used an arduino... Signed up to say thanks :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot alfk !!!
It works for me !
(I have a Nano AT328 V3.0 buy on Ebay china and your Driver works !)
Perfect thanks

Hello, thanks first of all to those pointing out the driver version that it works, it´s the key, I have make an small pdf explaining how I did to make it work as also one key is to succesfully uninstall old driver or it won´t work.

Here you are for those interested:

http://www.electronicca.com/electronicca/Solved%20solution%20arduino%20nano%20and%20ftdi%20converter%20problem.pdf

Hope it also helps.

Another tutorial, in Spanish for win 7 users from conzetaelectronics.com thanks to Pedro.

http://www.electronicca.com/electronicca/Tuto%20Problema%20con%20Arduino%20y%20FTDI_downgrade%20Driver20824[1].pdf

abinal:
For win8

Control Panel -> Devices and Printers -> Click on the FT232R USB UART -> Select Hardware from the top -> Properties -> Change Settings -> Select Driver from the top -> Update Driver -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from list... -> Select the USB Serial Converter Version:2.8.24.0 [10.4.2012] -> Done :slight_smile:

Trick: Do not select the new Version:2.8.28.0 [18.1.2013]

The same solution may be used for the PL2303 chip driver. Always, select the old version of all drivers :).

Brilliant thanks a lot, it worked for me too......saved me from buying a new one! Cheers

I bought recently 2 Nano v3.0, both having same behavior: "not in sync" (the COM is in Device Manager, the L led is flashing fast)
I'm running Windows 7 64b, with Arduino IDE 1.0.5

After much research on the internet and testing different drivers I found the solution.

First thing that I did notice was testing the Nanos on 32b. The Upload works.
Second, in order to make the Nano working on 64b was to use Arduino IDE 1.5.4

So, for the guys having similar problem, use Arduino IDE 1.5.4 If the Upload on that IDE does'n work, there could be a hardware problem.

HELP FAST :frowning:

I have Arduino nano v 3.0, with Atmel, MEGA 328p, today 24/9 i 1st open the box and get my arduino, i followed all instructions from arduino.cc site to update, instal and use arduino, but in all that i have few problems
and don't know whats that problems: 1st of all, when i 1st connected the arduino the Red (L) light blinking about 3 or 4 timese per second without stoping, 2nd when i try to upload a code the Red (L) light stop blinking
while the RX light blink 4 times and the Red (L) start again blinking like crazy , ex blinking Led 13 for 1sec Off/On, the arduino program get me that error ( avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 ) and all the time when i try to upload same error again and again. :0

Please help me or replay fast to know what to do, send the arduino back from where i took it and take new one or keep that one and fix it.
Domino60

@Domino60,

Looks exactly like my Nano before to fix it. Please read the post above yours.

Thanks for the info, but could you make me a fast tutotrial how to install etc the Arduino IDE 1.5.4 or what is that :smiley:
Im realy fun of arduino but im beginer in this new world :smiley:

Realy epic fail to make that kind of question what is Arduino IDE 1.5.4 :smiley:

Same error with the Arduino 1.5.4 Error (
Sketch uses 1,116 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30,720 bytes.
Global variables use 11 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,037 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 )

I realy dont know what else to do