TLAs and other acronyms...

Hi, I'm going through the ATmega328 datasheet (http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc8161.pdf) and I'm getting a bit frustrated. There are so many TLA (three letter acronyms) and other acronyms without definitions that it's driving me crazy.

Could someone tell me where to find the definitions for all of these acronyms? Ones I'm currently looking for are: MCU and AVR. I'm sure there will be more, but I want to get a jump on where I can look these up before MHE (my head explodes). :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Adrian

Hello :slight_smile:

Here you wil find many answers: AVR microcontrollers - Wikipedia

Well, I had to find the correct key words but I found:
AVR - Alf (Egil Bogen) and Vegard (Wollan)'s RISC processor (AVR microcontrollers - Wikipedia)
MCU - Micro Controller Unit (Microcontroller - Wikipedia) The Unit isn't specified, but I'm guessing that is what it is.

I'll probably be posting others that I find difficult to find as I progress.

Thanks guix. Just found that link. :slight_smile:

I know what you mean, Adrian.
To me, POV always meant 'point of view' and I just couldn't understand how that worked with LEDs :~ until I found out that, here, it refers to 'persistence of vision'.
Some TLAs are still beyond my understanding, but as you progress, you'll learn what the important ones (to you) stand for.

I have always found it ironic that TLA was itself a TLA

I have always found it ironic that TLA was itself a TLA

It's not actually an acronym, afaik. An acronym is a word, isn't it?- like UNESCO (you-ness-ko), while TLA is pronounced a three letters (tee-ell-ay).

Here we have AFA....acronyms for Africa.

Google will usually turn up something.

No, JimboZA, an acronym is just "A word formed from the initial letters of other words (e.g., radar, laser)." (acronym definition - Google Search) You don't have to be able to sound it out, it just makes it easier to use in a sentence. :slight_smile: I'd probably pronounce TLA as ta-la, but I personally think T-L-A sounds better. :smiley:

Yep I've seen that or similar definition before...

A word [it says]

But if...

You don't have to be able to sound it out,

.... then that's not a word, in my thinking

Are FBI and CIA acronyms? If not, what do you call them?

Well they're certainly not words....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+word

Word:

Noun
A single distinct meaningful element of speech or writing, used with others (or sometimes alone) to form a sentence and typically shown...

There is nothing to say that a word has to be sounded out.

What is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious? :smiley:

CIA, FBI, and TLA are all initialisms.

That's a new one to me. Cool. :smiley:

Are FBI and CIA acronyms? If not, what do you call them?

Abbreviations