self stabilizing platform

Has anyone endeavored to do this before? I was thinking of something mechanically simple like a base board with three servos mounted @ 120 from each other then attach another board at the three points to each servo arm. Then if you picked up the base and tilted it the upper board would attempt to remain coplanar with the ground. (obviously within a range of motion limited by the servo arms). Some rate gyros and an accel or two should do the trick for sensing

After you go the software you could get creative with the servo mounting and in theory create a hollow sphere with the platform inside and you could rotate all 360 yada yada... but thats to much for now.

cheers!
jm

Hi John, there was a thread earlier this year about someone that was working on something similar. His intended platform was actually a helicopter but the problem is somewhat similar. You may also find some interesting stuff googling 'inverted pendulum'

John,

A friend of a friend back at the University actually used an Arduino + accelerometer and attached them to a remote control tank. He could throw the tank a few meters at a time, and the vehicle would automatically find its way back to its original position. I have the video if anyone is interested.

John,

A friend of a friend back at the University actually used an Arduino + accelerometer and attached them to a remote control tank. He could throw the tank a few meters at a time, and the vehicle would automatically find its way back to its original position. I have the video if anyone is interested.

I would love to see the video.... and the code ;D if possible.