Hardware part of a balancing robot

I'm going to create a small 2-wheel robot, and want to ask for some help about the hardware, mechanic part of it. The robot brains will consist of a beagleboard, not arduino, but I think it doesn't matter much here. I myself am more a software developer and mathematician, so the programming part hopefully will be ok :slight_smile:
At first I'm not sure which motors to buy. The robot weight will be about 500g, so I think these 6V motors (with 7 cm wheels) are enough. Am I right here?
Another point is mechanically connecting all the things - motors, sensors, controllers, beagleboard, maybe a camera in the future... For simplicity I looked at plastic plates like this one, but again not sure if it is possible to place and somehow secure all the components there.
Any other advice are welcome too :slight_smile:

You could interface to motors with an adapter having Lego Mindstorm NXT jacks...
http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBone_Motor_w/_NXT_Connectors

The NXT motors are pretty good and easy to work with.

charliesixpack:
You could interface to motors with an adapter having Lego Mindstorm NXT jacks...
Beagleboard:BeagleBone Motor w/ NXT Connectors - eLinux.org

The NXT motors are pretty good and easy to work with.

They seem way too slow - about 100 rpm, I'd want something faster :slight_smile: