Arduino 0016 now available.

From the software page: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Changes include:

[documentation / examples]

• New communication examples (w/ corresponding Processing and Max/MSP code) by Tom Igoe.

[core / libraries]

• Adding support for the Arduino Pro and Pro Mini 3.3V / 8 MHz w/ ATmega328.

• Adding support for the LilyPad Arduino w/ ATmega328.

• Adding write(str) and write(buf, size) methods to Print, Serial, and the Ethernet library Client and Server classes. This allows for more efficient (fewer packet) Ethernet communication. (Thanks to mikalhart.)

• Improvements to the way the Ethernet library Client class connects and disconnects. Should reduce or eliminate failed connections and long timeouts. (Thanks to Bruce Luckcuck.)

• Optimizing the timer0 overflow interrupt handler (used for millis() and micros()). Thanks to westfw and mikalhart.

• Fixing bug that limited the bit() macro to 15 bits. Thanks to Paul Badger.

• Adding ARDUINO version constant (thanks to prodding from mikalhart).

[environment]

• Ordering the items in the Tools > Board menu.

• Adding "Copy as HTML" command to the Tools menu.

• Eliminating (maybe) the occasional "Couldn't determine program size" errors. Thanks to the Clever Monkey.

• Moving selection of Linux look-and-feel into the arduino script so it can be changed by users. Thanks to Eberhard Fahle.

[tools]

• Adding automatic dependency generation to the Makefile. (Lars Immisch)

Congratulation!

For an alternative to "Copy as HTML", you can try Pygments, it's a Python-library with a command line program rather easy to use.

(and I go back to reading "Foundations of Analog and Digital Electric Circuits"...)

Exactly what is the "ARDUINO version constant" mentioned in the new features?

As I recall it's a feature to enable people to develop libraries that need to act differently depending on the Arduino version. e.g. they might need to work around a bug in a particular version, be optimised in a particular way or use a feature that is only in a particular version.

--Phil.

As a relative noobie.... what would be the proper way to go about upgrading my Arduino software in Mac OSX leopard?

I have arduino 15 in a folder in my documents area now... should I overwrite that with the newer files?

Multiple versions of the IDE can co-exist happily on OS X as far as I can tell.

You could just drag the 0016 folder into the location you normally put your applications.

--Phil.