Problems with uploading

When I try to upload to my arduino uno with waveshield attached I get this error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I was able to upload the basic blink sketch earlier, but now that fails as well.
Yes I have verified I am selecting the correct COM port and board and am using the most recent version of the application. I am in windows 7 64 bit. Any help regarding this will be greatly appreciated!

I was able to upload the basic blink sketch earlier

With the shield attached?

Yes. The only thing that happened in between was I connected to a linux machine and failed to upload from that. It turned out to have been using an old version of the arduino application if that's relevant. I wish I could recall the error that threw.
Arduino Tutorial - Learn electronics and microcontrollers using Arduino! says this error "Note that it is nearly impossible for anyone to debug this, as there are so many possible issues. Try everything."

Do you know where I could find a list of "everything" so I don't have to bug you guys?

It turned out to have been using an old version of the arduino application if that's relevant.

That dose matter

Do you know where I could find a list of "everything"

Yes http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl ( use The search Box in that site :slight_smile: ) ( i just started doin it after being told so :wink: )

so I don't have to bug you guys?

hmm then probably nowhere else

Work through anything here that seems to be relevant...
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/troubleshooting

Without the shield attached. Using Blink as the Sketch to upload.

If you continue having problems, report back.

Sorry if it's considered uncouth to respond to an extremely old post, but I'd been away from access to a soldering iron for quite some time. With my shield removed I try to upload blink and get this response:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding