Centipede Shield - also a contest!

Umm, yeah just about.

Mowcius

Have the boards being claimed yet? I'm looking forward to seeing those projects :smiley:

Mowcius

Let me know if they ever go on sale. I think there'd be a decent market for 'em.

Yeah I am waiting for them :smiley:

Mowcius

Sorry for the delay everyone...the winners I chose never responded to their private messages. I apologize that the new winners had to wait so long for this to come to a conclusion.

New winners:

mowcius
Submitted several project ideas, any of which will work with the Centipede Shield. Leans a bit toward the output-only side of things, but I think mowcius will find some good uses.

kokuma
The musical instrument idea looks really interesting, and could require a lot of inputs and outputs. Definitely looking forward to seeing what this project looks like!

I am sending PMs to the two new winners to request shipping information.

Yeah :smiley:

I will be documenting all my projects with it on my website (when I eventually get it online!)

Mowcius

You thinking about selling these? guess i am gonna need one after all for my robot... what fun. And this might be a bit cheaper than making one myself.

Has this been sent off yet? I am eagerly waiting for a play with it. My lasers have arrived now. I will have 40 in a few weeks, fun fun!

Mowcius

It should be there already, but with the holiday shipping delays it might be held up. Let me know when you get it...

Ok brilliant. Yeah everything has been slow recently and that was before we had all the snow!

It'll be sliding its way towards me no doubt :stuck_out_tongue:

Meanwhile, i've been out on my mountain unicycle in the snow :smiley:

Mowcius

My centipede shield arrived three days ago. It's great!

Arghh, I want mine! :stuck_out_tongue:

Mowcius

Did your Centipede shield ever get there, mowcius?

Still waiting, it was after another package that I am still waiting for that you sent it. My package before that was delayed by about 2 1/2 weeks and royal mail still has a backlog in inports as far as I know. Either that or some serious issue somewhere, anyway hopefully it'll come soon!

I have learnt to be patient recently! :wink:

Mowcius

Hehe, mine has arrived ;), and it's brilliant!

More pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowcius/sets/72157623154190142/

As you can see from the pictures, I used a double right angle socket on the end double row of pins to make it easier for prototyping, especially if it is used in a stack. This can still be used with a cable by using the double pin row as an 'adaptor'.

Just about to try some stuff with it now! :sunglasses:

Mowcius

It is brilliant but I cannot get it working...

I uploaded the example sketch and nothing...

I tried just running the setup and lighting up LED 13 (on the arduino) in the loop code but it doesn't seem to get to that code...

Anyone got any ideas?

Mowcius

You installed the Centipede library from here: http://macetech.com/Centipede.zip

And ran the example code from here: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1257672398/31#31

And nothing?

Do make sure you have a connection between pins 1 and 2 on the PWR jumper...

Are you saying that normal Arduino functions aren't working too?

What Arduino and IDE version are you using right now?

Normal arduino code is working...
I am running arduino 17
I have downloaded the library and tried your example code.

If I run this:

#include <Wire.h>
#include <Centipede.h>

Centipede CS; // create Centipede object
int ledPin = 13;

void setup()
{
  Wire.begin(); // start I2C
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
  CS.initialize();
}

void loop()
{
  digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);   // set the LED on
  delay(1000);                  // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);    // set the LED off
  delay(1000);                  // wait for a second
}

Then it stalls on the CS.initialize();

if I run it without the CS.initialize(); then I get LED flashy as would be expected...

Chip 1 looked like two or three of the bottom right pins were connected together upon closer inspection of the board. I used a very sharp knife to make sure that none of them are but still no joy to be found. Could it be that that caused some problem to start with and now the chips are bust?

Mowcius

Nope those are address pins, they are all supposed to be tied together to ground on IC1. If you did manage to separate them, you might want to bridge them together again.

I'm mostly confused with the stalling at CS.initialize(), it really sounds like a software problem at this point. I'll do some more testing tonight.

Any luck? I have not had time to fiddle with the library, is there a way I can check each chip by code?

Mowcius