new electronics hobbyist

cjdelphi:
Analog meter?...

Sure, they have their place learning institutes love them (stops people blowing the fuses in digital ones) but I can't see how you think that they're better than a digital one, even a $2 one off of ebay.

Cons of an Analog.
You can't accurately read an analog display (it varies just from the Angle) .
The coil (to drive the deflection) will also have some influence and will take some power

99% of the time with a PSU you aren't in the slightest interested in accuracy(*), 1% of the time you are.
100% of the time you want to see the value immediately, DMM's take several seconds to stabilise and
use integrating ADCs that take perhaps 0.75s to sample - although the better ones have a bargraph
display as well that runs at a higher sample rate.

Have you any idea of the power consumption of a good analog meter as used to be used in
multimeters - a few microwatts (example AVO meter 50uA meter with 2500 ohms winding).

Also digital display of a rapidly varying value is impossible to read, with analog you can estimate the DC and AC
components of the signal by eye at least.

(*) Typically with a PSU I'm setting the supply voltage to 5V or to 12V (+/-5%) or I'm varying it to see how current
depends on voltage. Accuracy needed is ~5% which is no problem with analog meters - good meters have a mirror
scale to prevent parallax. If accuracy is important I measure the voltage at the load to remove IR losses in the wires
from the measurement.