IR Library Sending Problem - Sony device will not accept IR code

Hi All,

I'm trying to get Ken Shirriff's IR Library to work. I'm using a Sony DVD player (power on/off) for my testing. I have no problem sending or receiving codes with Ken's examples. My problem is that the DVD player will not respond to the Arduino generated IR transmission but instead it will only respond to the actual physical IR Remote. Further, WinLIRC has no problem seeing the code as valid when I use a .cf file generated by the physical remote control. I can also control the DVD with WinLIRC but that's another matter.

I have compared the wave forms with WinLIRC's IRGraph.exe and they look very very close. I tried to dig in and figure out the exact differences with Xoscope but cannot capture a full 48ms transmission. I also tried changing the sony setting in the IR Library's config files and tried raw codes.

I'm feeling stuck. :blush: Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--Chris

That's a tricky one.

I assume you have tried using the recieving script to read the remotes code and then tried sending it as a raw code?

If that doesn't work then I would look at your LED, check that it works by turning it on and using a camera phone to check it has illuminated. Check your range, in my testing an LED powered by an arduino (with a resistor) the range was about 5-10cm (obviously you can increase the range using an external power source and transisitor). Check the wave length, most remotes use 930-950nm (ish).

Targettio, thanks for you reply.

I've tried raw codes, the IRRecord script that records and resends the code, etc. I know that I am transmitting the IR codes and it is very very close to the original. I can see the waveform on several tools and my signal is quite good both in a camera lens and when testing it with WinLIRC. That's why I'm so stumped. I can't quite get it to work with the original DVDplayer but WinLIRC will see it as a valid code if I create the setup file with the original physical Remote.

I'm happy to say that I got this working. I've tried a number of oscilloscope apps and Winlirc's IRGraph.exe. I learned a lot about IR and Ken Shirriff's code. The one things I could not measure was the time in between IR code sequences. I thought I tried this but realized while reading the postings at http://www.arcfn.com/2009/08/multi-protocol-infrared-remote-library.html?commentPage=2 that I had not. My answer was changing the delay(100) statement in the IR Library's IRSendDemo (or any variation) to delay(50). Thanks to Ken for the Library and a lot of great stuff and all the posters on his site. There is a lot of great info there.

Hi,
WinLIRC developer here. I see you guys have yourself a funky infra-red receiver here. Anyway, to cut the point. It would be easy to write a plugin in winlirc, for one of these. I don't own one, but if someone sent me one I'd happily write a plugin. Or if someone wants help writing one, it shouldn't be hard at all. Pretty much copy and paste from another plugin.