Go Down

Topic: Arduino database  (Read 148 times) previous topic - next topic

Jikdor

Nov 14, 2017, 03:27 am Last Edit: Nov 14, 2017, 03:51 am by Jikdor
Hi, I'm building a system that needs to keep track of a bunch of barcodes (not that many, a few hundred, 12 or 13 digits) for products, member id, prices, balance and stuff like that. How would the best way be to store this information?

The first thing that comes to my mind is the internal EEPROM but it can only hold 0-255 so I would have to break all the values down into pieces and I feel like its gonna be real messy real fast. I would probably fit all the information I need on a MEAG this way but I would also possibly run out since every barcode or id would occupy several EEPROM addresses.

So what external EEPROM or other memory device could store a couple of hundred (preferably a few thousand) 12 digit numbers?

(intended to post this in storage, plz move)

Nick_Pyner

Nov 14, 2017, 04:44 am Last Edit: Nov 14, 2017, 04:44 am by Nick_Pyner
The first thing that comes to my mind is the internal EEPROM
I'm pretty sure the first thing that would come to anybody else's mind is an SD card. You can get a module or about $2, and they are not hard to use.

Jikdor

Haha, yes of course. I have been arduinos before to write to sd cards just not to read them and get specific parts of information so it's not clear to mee how it's done and had some trouble with bad cards so that's why I was wanting to use something else. But sd cards could definitely store all the info I need, I guess I'll look into it.

Nick_Pyner

read them and get specific parts of information
I believe it can be done but I have never done it. I believe it is easier and definitely makes more sense to dump an entire file onto the phone and sort out the specific parts in Excel. 

Jikdor

Apparently i'm not that good at searching :P This did it.
https://playground.arduino.cc/Code/ExtendedDatabaseLibrary

Go Up