CNC update

for those who care, i am still researching on how to build my CNC router. still not sure if i will go with the arduino GRBL controller (with different stepper drivers), or LinuxCNC, using a Mach3 breakout board.

Here is what i have figured out. for my gantry, i will power it with two stepper motors and screws, to maintain the angle of the gantry, so it doesn't deflect. still undecided on what type of slides to use, but i am still researching.

~Travis

Fun. High-quality drawer slides might do. You could also look at the Shapeoko line, they use aluminum extrusions with linear bearings.

Get some used linear rails off ebay. I got 6 IKO rails 18" long for $75 a couple of weeks ago for a coreXY machine i am building..

Aluminum is a lot easier to machine. If you plan on using steel and welding it together, keep in mind that the heat from the process will cause the steel to warp as it cools...

I'd look at using T-Slot extrusion for the frame. There are aluminum braces that can be used to make sure you are at exactly 90 degrees, and you can get them at modest prices from ebay. $200 for 10 meters of 2040 tslot cut to your specifications with a 1mm tolerance. Not bad for a dyi machine. Though, for a cnc i'd expect you need something a bit beefier like 4040 or 4060....

yeah, i mean the rods will be cheaper... but i think it's better to build a high quality machine slower than a cheap machine quickly. i'm not sure about the 80/20 extrusions. 8020 is also a brand name of extrusions, so if it is 8020's 1515 extrusions, it wouldn't be good. 8020 if it is the dimensions means 80mm x 20mm

get outside and mow some lawns! You can get ~50/yard

Interesting. Another dude i know on the internets said he had no mud season because although they got a lot of snow this winter (in maine) the spring time was dry and now there is an elevated fire risk.