Skins for Arduino? Why not?

well its an option you can go without skins.....

What and risk sunburn everytime you go outdoors?

Pracas, maybe something like this would suit you?

Woooo! I got the image tags to work!

(that sketch is for displaying an animated smiley on an led matrix by the way)

But seriously, if you look under (on a mac) Arduino/contents/resources/Java/lib/theme you can find gifs for parts of the window, along with a text file for colors and things!

Pracas, maybe something like this would suit you?

Nay...I would want complete works :wink:

There should be a folder in the IDE directory that has all the images from the UI (e.g. the buttons). If you were dying for some customizing, you could change the color scheme yourself by editing these files in photoshop/gimp/whatever and then perhaps share your results with the rest of us

Erm, exactly like what I said?

oops. Indeed just like you said. Must've jumped over your post.

Nah it's okay.

It was sorta hidden below the big photo I posted anyway.

Mowcius approves of this idea ;D

I might have to fiddle with mine. If I get any alternate icons sorted out then I will post them somewhere.

Mowcius

One thing to NOT try:

Background fill color (whatever it is called in the theme.txt) : ffff00
Text color: 0000ff

Not visually pleasing!!!!

-1 for IDE skins. I think it would add useless bloat to IDE code.

-1 for IDE skins. I think it would add useless bloat to IDE code.

It would be minor so I doubt it would affect people who don't care for it.

I have no idea what it would take to implement a "skinnable" IDE. As long as it doesn't slow down the IDE nor decreases its stability, it's ok with me.

:slight_smile:

make your buttons more colorful
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ILGqVfrGpjmO2TOkWc8AlA?feat=directlink

weee

hehe I might just do this.

One aspect that seems to be being overlooked (possibly) is the marketability of the skinning. I'm not talking about making money out of the selling of the skins themselves, more about if you are using Arduino to demonstrate a concept to a client about how something might work, then the skin of the IDE in a professional skin might be more pleasing (and subliminally selling to the client) than the standard one. It adds an air of bespoke.

I'm not bothered about them though, but I can understand why someone might want it. It's cool either way for me :slight_smile:

when I first started playing with arduino, one of the early things I did was to change the skin for the IDE, I like neon like colors on a dark background, the ide is washed out to me (a little hard to read, but I have crap eyes and worse monitor on that computer)

anyway, I was thinking about writing a little application that allowed you to "edit" your preferences.txt in a little gui so you could recolor any way you wanted, but never got around to it

but since were pitching ideas, it would be cool if that info was moved out of preferences.txt and into a proper 'theme' system, ie like notepad ++ just point it to a valid xml file and your good to go

if you like shiny buttons:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OaK1WpMR_tTeC1WQt_T_Qw?feat=directlink

I made a skin a time a go. I´ve published at my blog.

You can tested, if you like...

cheerio :wink:

I never thought so much about skins... when i started this thread.. :wink: