Ableton live midicontroller with Arduino Uno

So i had a little breakthrough. I messed around a lot with the whole thing not really knowing what to look for. Uploading programms on the arduino, checking MIDI OX for any signs of life. Then, out of what seemed nowhere, i got readings in MIDI OX. Repeated the actions i had done a couple of times with the same result. Looking back to what i had done, i think a few things i didn't do before turned out to be the problem. For others with the same problems i had, you probably should:

1. Change serial.print to serial.write
  2. Check whether pin 4 and 5 are connected the right way and make sure pin 2 is not connected to anything
  3. (Stupid enough, this turned out to be a major part of the problem) Make sure you start the programms the right way. First upload your programm on the arduino, then connect the USB MIDI cable and then start up ableton or MIDI OX or whatever programm you want to receive your MIDI.

I still have a question though. In ableton, i noticed that the midi indicator (this is it's actual name) didn't flash but was turned on continuously. I guess this means that ableton is receiving midi data continuously and that is consistent with what i see in MIDI OX ( a constant data stream that changes when i twist the pot). This results in that when i try to assign the pot to a certain function (e.g. a volume fader), i dont have to twist the pot to assign the knob, but i only have to click on it. I was wondering if this causes problems if you expand your design with more knobs; like that ableton assigns every function to the same knob, while you want to assign different knobs... Any ideas??

Greets.