why no 2560 breadboard projects ?

i have been looking for 2560 or other atmel chip breadboard jobs but dont see any around ,nor even bare chips with BL for sale ,why is this ?

just 328 and attiny projects only

Probably because there isn't a dip variant of the ATmega2560. Crossroads produces boards for the ATmega1284. Cross Roads Electronics

24X4 is 96 pins, which would mean 48 to a side in a DIP. 48 pins x .1" pin spacing is a 4.8" long chip. Thats a little teeny bit impractical.

Like dxw00d says, if your looking for dip horsepower, look into the 1284 chip, its not quite the 2560, but its got more memory and pins then a regular arduino (and crossroads makes a board for it, I don't have one, but my friend does, and he loves the thing)
On the other hand, if you just need more pins, it might be easier to just use a couple 328 chips, each doing part of your project, and then having them send necessary data between eachother (done it a bunch of times, esp for the projects where I'm lazy and just wanna make 1 sketch to only do like 2 things but then want to expand on it without having to shove a whole lot more into the code)

-edit. Heh on looking at crossroads website. He makes a board for dual 328s too.

I just created a tutorial that touches on this. Its based on the work done by many contributors to this forum. It shows how to breadboard and program an atmega 2560 using the minimum amount of components. You can find it at Programming the atmega 2560 with the Arduino IDE – kevinfundarek

Great! Thanks for sharing your tutorial.

Nikarus:
24X4 is 96 pins, which would mean 48 to a side in a DIP. 48 pins x .1" pin spacing is a 4.8" long chip. Thats a little teeny bit impractical.

Well - they'd never do it again today, but Motorola back in the day made the 68000 CPU in DIP format - it was a 64 pin beast!

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/68000/

But yeah - that might be the limit for a DIP package - I'm not sure if you could even get traces from the die to the pins at any greater number (?)...

I have several 68 in my collection. They are nice and big. There were also large EEPROMs of that size too.