Two IDEs open at the same time

We are trying to test out a RF interface, and have a Uno and a Mega with RF devices plugged into each. We are using Arduino IDE 1.0 RC2.

We have two different sketches which are very similar but in different folders. When we set the Mega sketch Board to Mega, the IDE running the Uno Sketch also changes to Uno along with the serial port. This makes it very difficult to do anything since we would like to change the code on both at the same time.

Any ideas on how to use two Arduino IDEs at the same time would be much appreciated.

OK, just went back to Arduino 0022, and there are no problems here.

Not sure who is doing the QA on these 1.0 Beta releases, but they now have a lot of work to do.

Does the lastest version still have the same problem? I have two simultaneus IDE's (0022) open at the same time, to keep communication code changes synchronized in two arduinos. I just don't like the idea of having only one open. Actually I would need three, but where I play with these toys, we have only on monitor, resolution is too low to have them all open for viewing them all.

What I don't understand, is that why arduino IDE would not use it's path to have temporary files stored, that would help multiple instanses to be open without interfering each others prosessies.

Cheers,
Kari

Hi, we did find a way around this. If the .ino or .pde sketch file is double clicked and the Arduino program opens, you can have two independent Arduino windows running and can use one for the UNO and another for a Mega128 board. We did just this and managed to get the two RF cc2500 modules talking to each other.

The original problem happens if a new Arduino window is spawned off an existing one, by selecting new sketch. I cannot imagine any situation where you would want two Arduino windows talking to the same board so it would be good if this could be changed to be independent. Anyway, thee is a workaround.

Also, we noticed today that Arduino was taking a while to startup and this was caused by having three old IDEs still installed. I think Arduino scans all the directories for sketches on startup. Removing the old IDEs dropped the startup time to 10seconds. Btw, there was no difference between v0022 and 1.0. Thanks.

Shields_Arduino:
Removing the old IDEs dropped the startup time to 10seconds.

Mine pops up within 2 seconds of double clicking the icon ...

Win7 Ultimate, i7 core, 3.7GHz with 8GB

Thanks! I maybe try the new IDE after all, our program size is only getting near 20k on each unit, and no ethernet library needed, so even the increased memory consumption is not a problem yet.

Cheers,
Kari

Shields_Arduino:
Not sure who is doing the QA on these 1.0 Beta releases, but they now have a lot of work to do.

You are! Welcome to the world of Free & Open Source Software...

Thanks for your contributions... :slight_smile:

--Philip;

Having all the IDE windows use the same board and serial port setting was a deliberate design choice, although one I can understand people having different opinions about. People often have multiple different programs open that they're uploading to the same board. Also, on the Mac, the Tools menu is in the application-wide menu bar, so I thought it would be confusing if those settings didn't apply to every window in the application.

Really!

It is fairly obvious that it would be far, far better to allow different instances to have different run-time configurations. That way, those who need to work several boards at one time would be able to do it, and if you so wished you could have them all point at the same board and port. There is no need to enforce this by design, or am I missing something? :~

Your design choice is either purposely limited (my next question would why!??!), or maybe you did not think this one out thoroughly. Just an observation. :roll_eyes:

Are you sure you're both referring to the same situation:

mellis:
Having all the IDE windows use the same board

BillO:
better to allow different instances to have different run-time configurations.

My impression is that mellis is referring to "windows within a single IDE application instance" whereas BillO is referring to "multiple instances of the IDE application", is that impression correct?

BillO:
Your design choice is either purposely limited (my next question would why!??!)

In the Arduino world if there's a choice between making the common & beginner focused case easy; or, a more sophisticated case harder or impossible; then the choice will generally be made to choose the more limited beginner option, as Arduino is a beginner-focused platform.

--Philip;

follower:
Are you sure you're both referring to the same situation:

Yes we are, sorry about my nomenclature...

follower:
My impression is that mellis is referring to "windows within a single IDE application instance" whereas BillO is referring to "multiple instances of the IDE application", is that impression correct?

... I am taking about window instances, not IDE instances. Again, sorry for the confusion.

follower:
In the Arduino world if there's a choice between making the common & beginner focused case easy; or, a more sophisticated case harder or impossible; then the choice will generally be made to choose the more limited beginner option, as Arduino is a beginner-focused platform.

--Philip;

I would have no problem with the default for a new window being the last board and port, but you should be able to change it in a new window without it affecting the previous window. To make it real idiot proof, they could put in a configuration option for this.

It is beginner friendly, but it is also powerful and accessible. It is real nice to have a free high-level IDE. I feel maybe it should at least allow for more advanced uses, even if the default is geared more toward the novice. I'm sure they (Arduino) do not want their most advanced users wandering off to more versatile platforms.