Let's do a rally of meaningless complaints

Last time I was in Beijing, subway trains have Ads inside the tunnels and they chase the train for at least 10 seconds until the trains leave the station.You are not read a billboard while moving, the billboard is digital and image follows the train until they run out of the board.

I also often found news on yahoo that are just commercials. But as they are videos, you have to watch commercials before you can watch them.

Pauly:
Let me repeat. I had to watch a commercial in order to turn the light on.

I would probably go to the trouble of dropping an email to the complaints dept of the company whose ad you forced to watch to inform them that you had made a mental note to never buy their product or use their services. Ever. You find this form of advertising intrusive, rude and annoying, and people don't like companies who pay to be intrusive, rude, and annoying.

Then put it on twitter, and see if you can get some traction there. With any luck, they just might get the message.

Personally, I see the future of advertising as more intelligently targeted and discerning, if anything. This isn't the way of the future. This is just advertising "fail" at any time.

The flipphone is an easy cure, find the speaker and cut it's wires

cjdelphi:

You totally lost me here. But talking about flip phones, I just got one with a prepay plan. Amazing how much cheaper prepay cell is getting, a flip phone for $30USD and 30 minutes for $10, which expires in 90 days. A decade ago I could only do $10 that expired in 30 days. To be honest, my monthly plan is a total waste. I don't call a lot more than 30 minutes a month or use 200MB data but I am still paying $100 for two line family plan a month, a total ripoff. At&t only has 0.5 to 1 bar at my apartment, btw.

liudr:

cjdelphi:

You totally lost me here. But talking about flip phones, I just got one with a prepay plan. Amazing how much cheaper prepay cell is getting, a flip phone for $30USD and 30 minutes for $10, which expires in 90 days. A decade ago I could only do $10 that expired in 30 days. To be honest, my monthly plan is a total waste. I don't call a lot more than 30 minutes a month or use 200MB data but I am still paying $100 for two line family plan a month, a total ripoff. At&t only has 0.5 to 1 bar at my apartment, btw.

You might want to look into Ting (www.ting.com). They have great service (there are no "plans") for people that use little voice and data, but still want to have the option to use more without getting hammered with overages. I have use less than 100 minutes, 100 text messages, and 100mb, and I pay $14 a month. If I don't use any texts, I get credited the $3 that the plan normally costs, if I use more, I simply get charged for the higher plan.

ting is on Sprint network, their data coverage isn't that good in my area according to their coverage maps.

CrossRoads:
ting is on Sprint network, their data coverage isn't that good in my area according to their coverage maps.

Same here. Big hole of coverage in my neighborhood (less wireless radiation hazard for me?!) If I move to a larger city, I might try ting, seems cheap enough. I don't have/want iphone or their siri stuff. Heard rumor they send the entire voice over to apple to be recognized and send back. Could be a lot of 3G traffic.

I'm back from IKEA today (my initial motive to start the rally;)). The lady at the return&exchange took real pride in defending IKEA products, being IKEA furniture owner herself. I don't see that very often these days. +1 for her. But I was surprised to find out she was also a person of reason. After she tightened a few cams and tested again, the bookshelf was still wobbly. She admitted defeat and gave me store credit. +2 for her. For the record, this bookshelf, the BILLY, is/has become a piece of engineering crap. Even grade school kids should know parallelograms are unstable.

CrossRoads:

Thats impressive. I live just outside of Middle of Nowhere, Maine, and even we get 3g data coverage.

Not too much of a complaint, but I hate having to refactor code before it even does anything, sometimes the first cut is just too wrong to go on.

Duane B

What does "refactor code" mean?

Edit : my approach isn't anywhere near as structured as the wiki article suggests, and I only do it when my gut tells me to.

Duane B

CrossRoads:
What does "refactor code" mean?

It's fancy-talk for "clean up the illegible mess you made writing the first version".

It is true that is is fancy-talk for "clean up the illegible mess you made writing the current version".
More importantly is that a good IDE provides support for doing refactoring (like eclipse and visual studio do) .
For instance you can go to a function/variable/class and refactor->rename which renames the function/variable/class everywhere it has been used. And it does this taking into account the namespace. A standard find and replace does not do so.
This is a great feature when you have a serious amount of code.

Best regards
Jantje

So collecting up the various pinModes and rewriting into an array and then looping thru it might be refactoring?

CrossRoads:
So collecting up the various pinModes and rewriting into an array and then looping thru it might be refactoring?

To me it is.
Best regards
Jantje

Graynomad:
What arseholes think this stuff up?

You mean "Who thinks of opening the car door at 60 knots to see whether it dings?"? ]:smiley:

wizdum:
We even melted one with thermite.

Did it say "I cannot self-terminate" when you tried to shut it off?

Perhaps refactoring is the wrong word then, basically my initial abstractions no longer stand up as the project is progressing and so i need to pull the classes apart and create new more appropriate one from the parts.

Duane B